Shant
Granada Hills, California

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Cheapest/safest hostel on shoestring budget in Chiang Mai?

Hi guys,

What hostel/hotel do you recommend that's in Chiang Mai that is the cheapest nightly. Will be traveling there next year and want to get my itinerary in place before then.

Ideally <$30/nightly (or more if possible!) but is also a safe place to stay that's tourist friendly, wifi, etc. (amenities and size of room isn't a huge deal, all I need is a bed).

thanks,

shant

Jason from Cape Town

Deejai Backpackers. I met the best people there. They are cheap for even the private rooms. They have both dorms and private rooms. They have a pool and bar. Lots of fun and great people everywhere.

1. Deejai Backpackers (hotel)

Christopher from Melbourne

If you were wanting a bed in Chaing Mai, you could get one for at little as $3 a night. Less if you were staying long-term. I did this random search and came up with over 300 places for under $35 a night.

If you're heading there for the first time, I'd recommend you stay within the boundaries of the moat (the square in the middle of the city). You're less likely to get run over and everything tourist friendly is within walking distance.

The Maninarakorn Hotel (link) and Top North Hotel (link) both are well rated and close to where all the fun is - you've got the night markets around the corner and within a 30 minute walk from shopping malls in case you'd like to do some retail therapy. Oh these two are Hotels - not hostels. You get a room to yourself. If you're set on hostels, here is a search for places under $15 a night.

1. Maninarakorn Hotel (hotel)
  2. Top North Hotel (attraction)

Jan from Australia

As I am a local, I never stayed in hotel (of course) but many friends loved to stay in the hotel or hostel or guest house around in the city as all walkable to see the towns, for example if your guest house in 'Tha Phae Rd' you can walk to Sunday night market (walking street),and many temples in the old city.  Lots of guest house around you probably booked for few nights first and move around.  During June is low season in Thailand (rain) most of hotel are dropped their prices.  Chiang mai is second city of Thailand, easy way to travel is by plane, low cost air lines are "air-Asia", "Nok-Air" but I can't remember now Nok-Air might get off from "Don Muang" airport not Suvanabhumi airport (international airport) but if your flight is connecting flight from overseas is would be better (with Thai Airways) which you don't need to travel between 2 airports (far away) and very silly to do so, unless you want to spent few days in Bangkok. 

Chiang mai is safe place (if you are not silly traveller) as locals, we loved visitors. Enjoy your holiday!.....

Tips: learn few Thai words before you go would be very helpful

1. Tha Phae Rd (attraction)