Robson
Istanbul

Chiang Mai

Best area to stay?

Me and my wife are planning to stay in Chiang Mai for 2 weeks. Arriving there on Nov. 6th to see the Lantern Festival.

Where is the best area to stay? Any Hostel/B&B recommendations?

We are traveling on a budget :)

Ryan from Chicago

When I was in Chiang Mai a few years ago I stayed at a guest house called Nest.  It was a nicer place (not the best but by far not the worst) and the price was great around $10 for a double room (at least that was the price I got at the time it might be different now).  The best part about it is that it is in the main downtown part of Chiang mai and is a short walk from the biggest night market in the city.  Hope this helps!

1. Chiang Mai (city)
  2. Nest (attraction)

Jodi from Funchal

I'm in Chiang Mai now. I'd recommend staying either at Sabai Day GuestHouseb if you want to stay in trendy Nimmanhaemin area, or at CM Bluehouse if you want to stay in the old city. Both are lovely guesthouses, though Sabai Day is newer and more airy, and will feel less chaotic given that it's outside the old city walls during the holiday.

For food, head to the Chiang Mai (South Gate) for many great food stalls in the evening, starting at 5pm.

1. Sabai Day GuestHouseb (attraction)
  2. CM Bluehouse (hotel)

Scott

A great central area is any spot near the Tha Phae Gate. You're within walking distance to the Muay Thai spots at Thapae & Loi Kroh as well as a number of budget hostel/apartment spots.

1. Tha Phae Gate (attraction)

Andrea from Brooklyn

I've stayed at the River View Lodge twice with my husband based on his families recommendation - his father is from Thailand. Highly recommend it! I think it's about $50/night with a pool and restaurant on site. Wonderful breakfast. 10 minute walk to the Night Bazaar. 

http://www.riverviewlodgch.com

1. River View Lodge (hotel)

Randi from On The Road

Hi, it really depends on what you're in to but here are some options on accommodations.  The latter two would apply for budget travel: http://www.justapack.com/top-hotels-chiang-mai-thailand.html.

I just left Chiang Mai so feel free to ask about anything.

Randi

Haley from Cleveland (Tennessee)

When I was in Chiang Mai this summer we stayed at the YMCA International Hotel. It was fairly cheap and the staff was incredible. The rooms were decent. They were always very clean.

1. YMCA International Hotel (hotel)