Leslie
Belfast

Chennai

Insider traditions, rituals, and popular brands in Chennai?

Whenever I travel to new places, I make a point of seeking out the traditions and rituals of the people who live there whether they’re deliberate or not. For instance, in Thailand the national anthem plays twice a day in public places and everyone stops and stands still while it plays. Or, in New York, there’s a certain brand of chocolate syrup just about every home has a bottle of. 

I’ll be in Chennai later this year and would love to find out about some similar traditions and rituals I should take note of while I’m there. I’ve been told about a certain brand of Indian vodka I should try, but that’s about it!

Sushant from Udaipur

As such there is no ritual associated with Chennai but people are fond of Tirumala Venkateswara Temple, a local deity. Its about 200km away from Chennai and generally has a huge line of devotees and probably it takes 12 hours just to stand in line before you can see the deity.

Another speciality of Chennai people is they eat lot of food made of rice and lentils. Some of the famous dishes are idli, dosa and sambhar. You will get it for cheap at every corner of Chennai. The good thing is that they will serve it on a banana leaf which is pretty amazing. One more thing to must watch is the classical dance. Its way different from what you might have seen till now. You can search for theatre where such performances happen on a regular basis.

1. Tirumala Venkateswara Temple (attraction)
  2. Chennai (city)

Amarnath from Chennai, Tamil Nadu

Don't forget to try out South Indian food at Saravana Bhavan or at  Sangeetha

You might also want to try The Grand Sweets & Snacks for sweets and savories. 

Places to visit:-

Kapaleeswarar Temple and the surrounding streets (wear appropriate attire)

Edward Elliot's Beach aka besant nagar beach

1. Saravana Bhavan (restaurant)
  2. Sangeetha (attraction)
  3. The Grand Sweets & Snacks (restaurant)
  4. Kapaleeswarar Temple (attraction)
  5. Edward Elliot's Beach (attraction)