Clay

Chattanooga

Activities in Chattanooga for families with active kids

We are planning a trip this summer to  Chattanooga, TN

We'll have 5 kids ( 1 about 6 or 7, all others between 11 and 13). All very active, like to bike, etc.

We are planning to stay @ the Raccoon Mt. RV park.

(We'll have a popup trailer and tents).

Interested in:

• Mountain Biking (easy stuff for the kids, moderate or hard for me)
  • Rafting or kayaking (rental/guide tours)
  • Fun, interactive, Science Museum type stuff.
  • Zip lines
  • Historical recreations (where they have staff "living as they did years ago) (we've gone to indian villages, etc.)  like that.
  • Any other fun sounding stuff.
  • Rock climbing (hopefully easy)

Sally from Chattanooga

The downtown area is great for kids. I suggest the Tennessee Aquarium; there are two parts of the aquarium which can be a lot for kids to do in a day so be prepared to have some tired kids. The Creative Discovery Museum is four easy blocks from the aquarium and is a lot of fun (tons of activities and science like experiments for kids). Highly suggest both of those tourist attractions for kids. Do not miss the High Point Climbing & Fitness! It is brand new and tons of fun. All these attractions are very close to each other. Some great casual restaurants in the area are Lupi's Pizza Pies, Blue Plate, Sticky Fingers Smokehouse, Sugar's Ribs, and then some chains (Chilis etc). I highly suggest try the local restaurants.  

Although I have lived here my whole life, I have never been to either Rock City or Ruby Falls. No real reason I haven't gone because people really do love them both. Lookout Mountain is beautiful with lots of great trails and views (try the trails by Sunset Rock and Point Park). The best thing to do would be to go to Rock City or Ruby Falls, and then after visiting either of those (they are both on lookout) get trail suggestions/directions from their help centers. I know Ruby Falls had a ropes course/zip line, but there might be age limit issues.  

The best kept secret for climbing in Chattanooga is Little Rock City. It is a golf course, but the bouldering is so fantastic lots of people go bounding there. It might not be perfect for the kids but thought I'd mention it. http://www.climbmidwest.com/rockclimbing/little-rock-city-tennessee-tn 

Hope this helps!! Chattanooga is a wonderful city!

1. Tennessee Aquarium (attraction)
  2. Creative Discovery Museum (attraction)
  3. High Point Climbing & Fitness (attraction)
  4. Sticky Fingers Smokehouse (restaurant)
  5. Sugar's Ribs (restaurant)
  6. Rock City (attraction)
  7. Ruby Falls (attraction)
  8. Chattanooga (city)
  9. Lupi's Pizza Pies (restaurant)
  10. Blue Plate (restaurant)
  11. Lookout Mountain (attraction)
  12. Sunset Rock (attraction)
  13. Point Park (attraction)

Paige from Pennsylvania

High Point Climbing & Fitness is the 9th largest climbing facility in the U.S. and pretty rockin. They have all types of courses and levels. 

Rock City is a fantastic walkthrough garden with a view of seven states. It's a little on the pricey side, but one of my favorite attractions in Chattanooga. 

Creative Discovery Museum is one of the best kid's museums. While I've not been there, I have heard plenty of great reviews from friends with kids or nieces and nephews.

Tennessee Aquarium has a new otter exhibit opening soon, as well as a ton of cool marine exhibits! Their IMAX theater is pretty cool too. 

Chattanooga also has a bicycle transit system, which allows you to rent a bike for an hour and ride around town. Since Chattanooga is fun to explore (with the walking bridge, the Cherokee memorial site next to the aquarium, and Coolidge Park) it would be really neat to ride around.

Also, for your younger ones, Coolidge Park has a carousel and animal fountains to play in during the summer. I took my nieces there and they had a blast.

Lastly, if you're up for a mini adventure, there is an island in the middle of the TN river called Audubon Acres, that can be rented or visited. I camped there and it was so much fun. Here's a link for more information: http://www.chattanoogaaudubon.org/audubon-island.html

1. Rock City (attraction)
  3. Tennessee Aquarium (attraction)
  4. Coolidge Park (attraction)
  5. High Point Climbing & Fitness (attraction)
  6. Audubon Acres (attraction)