Danielle asked

What should I do

I'm planning on taking my little dog on a one week road trip from Chicago to Charlotte and back. Will be visiting a friend in Charlotte a few days. I want to take my time and see things along the way. Any suggestions as to what to see and do that's pet friendly. Will spend the night along the way.

Chicago Charlotte

Tara from Boston
The obvious first stop from Chicago is probably the Indiana Dunes State Park (Dunes Nature Preserve) but you might want to drive further before you stop. Maybe go to Holliday Park in Indianapolis as your first major stop.
If you go through Columbus, look for Tail Wags Playground. Also The Dayton Beer Company is a dog-friendly brewery!
When you hit West Virginia, assuming you're going down I-64, check out Fitzpatrick Park in Beckley for a dog beach (leash is required).