Georgia
Minneapolis

Charleston, Savannah

Getting from Savannah to Charleston

I'm planning a trip to Savannah with friends and since we'd already be in the south, we were also thinking about extending our trip and going to Charleston. What would be the best way to get from Savannah, Georgia to Charleston, S.C.? We’re debating between flying, driving (if there are places worth seeing along the way), or, if there’s a boat, maybe taking a boat.  If anyone has any info on traveling that route, we'd appreciate it. Thanks!

rich from Athens, GA

I second the driving option. It's an easy drive and there is plenty to see. I would add Hilton Head IslandEdisto Island

1. Hilton Head Island (attraction)
  2. Edisto Island (city)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

First of all, definitely add Charleston to the itinerary.  I've done the Savannah combo twice, and it is great to see the two cities, similarities, differences, etc.  

On getting between the two, I would definitely drive.  Its only 2-3 hours, and if you want to see some stuff along the way, the  Old Sheldon Church Ruins is a very worthwhile stop, and  Beaufort is a neat old town that are easy detours off the main route.

1. Charleston (city)
  2. Savannah (city)
  3. Old Sheldon Church Ruins (attraction)
  4. Beaufort (city)

Brian from Greenville

Don't know much about boat rides, but I'd imagine it would take quite some time for a trip. Highway 17 is the shortest drive, but there are very few large attractions along the way that I know of.

Haley from Cleveland (Tennessee)

The best way to travel is driving. It is a very easy drive and not worth the expense of flying. I am unsure if there is a boat that travels between Savannah and Charleston. The quickest route is taking 17 to 95. It takes about an hour and 45 mins. 

1. Savannah (city)
  2. Charleston (city)

Timothy from Houston

Drive, Take Highway 17. Nice road. Scenic.