Mary
Huron, Ohio

Charleston

Foodies in Charleston

We are having a girls' weekend in Charleston in January and are looking for restaurant recommendations and other must-sees.  We are adventurous, don't really care about price, and prefer local/non-chain.

Meg from Charleston

There are so many great spots in Charleston, but as a local foodie, I might recommend: 167 Raw on East Bay (only about 8 seats inside, perfect for lunch/ great FRESH fish tacos). Chez Nous is a must, can be expensive and only offer 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 2 desserts, different each night; but SOOO delicious. Trattoria Lucca is an Italian place, known for making their own pasta.

For your Girls trip I would definitely recommend doing an Upper King Tour with Charleston Culinary Tours or maybe the Mixology Tour. Oscar Hines, the owner/manager is very helpful. 

1. 167 Raw (restaurant)
  2. Chez Nous (restaurant)
  3. Trattoria Lucca (restaurant)

Russell from Columbia, South Carolina

You must do a carriage ride, yes it's a bit corny, but the history will tie you to the city.  My current favorite restaurant Chez Nous is a definite winner.  Roof top bars are great too.  The climate allows year round enjoyment of such places as StarsMarket Pavilion Hotel or Roof Top at the Vendue Inn. Enjoy!

1. Chez Nous (restaurant)
  2. Stars (restaurant)
  3. Market Pavilion Hotel (hotel)
  4. Roof Top at the Vendue Inn (restaurant)

Bryson from Chattanooga

Charleston is one of my favorite cities! I went to school at Clemson University and spent a summer in Charleston. Here's a great resource for some things to do around town (full disclosure, I work for with RootsRated): http://rootsrated.com/charleston-sc

Eating at Poe's Tavern is a must!

Hominy Grill is also a great spot for some southern food for your soul!

1. Poe's Tavern (restaurant)
  2. Hominy Grill (restaurant)

JR from Manhattan Beach

Husk. I only had a chance to eat at their bar. Great bar food (and Manhattans :)). I can't wait to try their full menu. Let me know how it is!!

1. Husk (restaurant)

Ashley from Durham (North Carolina)

Anson Restaurant is my absolute favorite restaurant in the city--so so good, lots of fresh seafood, but it's not a seafood-only place. The Gin Joint is my favorite place to get drinks. It's a cocktail bar, pretty small, and very popular, so I would suggest going mid-week if you're able. Have the bartender make you a surprise drink--you pick two adjectives and get something delicious. My favorites have been "fizzy" and "tart." White Point Garden is a great place to go for a cool breeze off of the water and relax under the shade of gorgeous, ancient live oaks. I'd recommend picking up some sandwiches in a shop near the market and going here for a cool, quiet lunch.

1. Anson Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. The Gin Joint (attraction)
  3. White Point Garden (attraction)