Georgia
Minneapolis

Georgia from Minneapolis asked

Charleston restaurants that are good for a group

I'll be visiting family in Charleston with even more family so what are some nice group-friendly places where we can go?  We'd love to try some of Charleston's finest for lunch and dinner!

Charleston

Andrew from Minneapolis

For home-style soul food, head to Martha Lou's Kitchen. You can’t go wrong with her Southern classics, such as fried chicken, lima beans and okra stew.

Another great local spot is McCrady's. A low-country fine dining establishment that celebrate regional farms, local purveyors and heirloom produce.

And if you like oysters, Bowen's Island Restaurant has great oysters.

For something nicer, check out Husk. Chef Sean Brock’s menu is composed entirely of products harvested or raised in the South. Expect dishes such as crispy pork ear lettuce wraps and sassafras pork ribs with pickled peaches from what may deservedly be the most talked about restaurant in the South.

At lunch time, you can make a pit stop at Burbage's Grocery for pimiento cheese sandwiches, fresh sausage muffins or a great barbecue sandwich.

Speaking of barbecue, if you like barbecue, Scotts BBQ has got to be my favorite BBQ place in America.  It's a drive up north, but worth it.

Georgia
I love all of this! Home-style, BBQ, nice restaurants... I love all these options! Thank you so much :)

1. Martha Lou's Kitchen (restaurant)
  2. McCrady's (restaurant)
  3. Bowen's Island Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Husk (restaurant)
  5. Burbage's Grocery (restaurant)
  6. Scotts BBQ (restaurant)
Carrie from Columbia

If you do not mind traveling to Mount Pleasant (maybe 15 min. away) the best meal I have ever had was at the  Old Village Post House. It is an old converted Post Office!  Make sure you make a reservation because, it is very busy with all the locals! All of there food is fresh and seasonal.  As vegetarian there are options for veggie lovers to carnivores alike!  Here is the link: http://www.mavericksouthernkitchens.com/oldvillageposthouse/

Georgia
Nice Carrie! I like going where the locals go, and I like converted spots too! Thank you for the recommendation!

1. Old Village Post House (restaurant)
Elaine from Denver

Yum! I love Charleston... Here are a few of my favs.

Magnolia's

We visited Magnolia’s our last night in Charleston and we for sure saved the best for last. We arrived prior to our reservations so we grabbed a seat at the bar and were able to enjoy a glass of wine and observe amazing dishes being delivered to patrons seated around us. We started out our meal with homemade chips with a blue cheese topping. While it was a lot of food, it was delish and very different. I had an amazing stuffed red fish for my meal and had to make my sister and mom get some pecan pie for desert. They had both been against desert for the entire trip. I mean really, who goes to Charleston (anywhere in the South) and doesn’t order at least one piece of pecan pie. It was amazing. Absolutely fabulous pie.

Charleston Crab House

There are three locations, we stopped in at the Downtown location for some appetizers’ late one afternoon since it’s right across the street from the Market. The crab cakes are to die for!! If you can get a seat outside, do it as it offers waterfront dining. The lunch menu is all fried. The dinner menu, however looks great.

Poogan's Porch

Known for Sunday brunch.

A few others - FIG, Anson Restaurant

Georgia
Magnolia's sounds amazing! The no-dessert rule goes out the door during vacations! The crab house sounds great, too, and we definitely need a Sunday brunch spot. Thanks so much, Elaine! :)

No dessert during vacation? Especially in the South? Cannot compute! ;) These sound like great places, Elaine!

1. Magnolia's (restaurant)
  2. Charleston Crab House (restaurant)
  3. Poogan's Porch (restaurant)
  4. FIG (restaurant)
  5. Anson Restaurant (restaurant)