Luciana

Central America

Where can I have the best vacations in Central America?

I've been planning my holidays for the next summer and I would like to know the best places to visit in Central America, taking in consideration price, good views and nice food also.

Thanks in Advance.

Claudia from New York City
I like Antigua and Lake Atitlan , Guatemala because of the fantastic views of Lake Atitlan, colonial buildings in Antigua and delicious Guatemalan food. I was there a year ago and here are some tour highlights (I threw in some recommendations as well):
1. 3 nights in Antigua - We stayed at an Airbnb but you can opt for a hotel if you prefer to stay in the center of town. I visited 3 hotels and would stay at a historic hotel like Hotel Casa Santa Domingo or El Convento Boutique Hotel the next time I visit Antigua. You can read Guide to Antigua Guatemala for food recommendations and things to do.

2. 3 nights in Lake Atitlan - there are 11 towns and villages surrounding the lakes. Visiting the villages was one of the highlights of my trip. You can go on a boat cruise. The cruise usually includes stops at #Santiago Atitlan Dock , San Pedro, San Juan, and San Marcos. When visiting Lake Atitlan, it is best to stay at a resort perched on the hillside with unobstructed panoramic views of the lake and three volcanoes – Volcan San Pedro, Volcan Atitlan, and Volcan Toliman. I stayed at B’alam Ya Resort, located near Santa Catarina Palopo.

1. Antigua (attraction)
  2. Lake Atitlan (attraction)
  3. Santiago Atitlan Dock (attraction)

I don't know if you are aware, but summer is the "green season" and there are occasional hurricanes.  The green season will have more rain and also less tourists and may be less expensive.
I consider Central America to consist of PanamaCosta RicaNicaraguaEl SalvadorHondurasBelizeGuatemala and possibly the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.  I have not been to Nicaragua, El Salvador or Honduras, and the only one I have been to in the green season is Costa Rica. 
I don't know what you mean by 'good views'.  When I travel to Central America, I am interested in Mayan sites, diving, and tropical wildlife - I'm not interested in sitting on the beach although you can certainly do that if you want.  Belize is the only one in the area where the official language is English.  All the other countries are basically Spanish speaking countries.  Costa Rica has great infrastructure for tourists, and so do Panama and Belize.   It was more expensive for us to fly to Belize than it was to fly to Costa Rica - Southwest has some flights to Costa Rica.   I suspect that Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua are the cheapest.  And Mexico.  If you include Mexico, Playa del Carmen is very nice and inexpensive

1. Panama (attraction)
  2. Costa Rica (attraction)
  3. Nicaragua (attraction)
  4. El Salvador (attraction)
  5. Honduras (attraction)
  6. Belize (country)
  7. Guatemala (attraction)
  8. Yucatan Peninsula (attraction)