Jolien
Netherlands

Central America

Good and safe transportation in El Salvador, Guatemala and Belize?

I am staying in El Salvador for a project right now but in 4 weeks I would like to travel to Guatemala and Belize. I was wondering if it is safe to travel alone to these countries and what the best way to do this is. 

Simon from Portland, Oregon

Hi Jolien- The most basic things you need to know is that both Belize City and Guatemala City are very dangerous, especially at night. However, in Central America it is possible to take trans-national buses.

I highly recommend Nicaragua- its very safe, the people are helpful, its cheap, and diverse. Isla de Ometepe is a magical place, and the beaches of San Juan del Sur and Little Corn Island are world class.

Most veteran travelers I know who have spent time in Belize really don't have many good things to say- Guatemala is still well traveled and highly regarded, but still dangerous.

Nicaragua all the way.

1. Belize City (city)
  2. Guatemala City (city)
  3. Nicaragua (attraction)
  4. San Juan del Sur (city)
  5. Little Corn Island (attraction)