Valerie

Catalina Island, Avalon

What should I do on my first trip to Catalina Island?

I am beyond excited to be going to Catalina next weekend! Its my first time so i'm really clueless about everything there is to do on the island. What are some of your favorite activities? Im pretty adventurous and willing to try anything! 

Also looking for some great restaurants to grab a bite to eat...can't forget about my favorite activity :) 

JR from Manhattan Beach

I assume you're going to Avalon. There is a new Bluewater Avalon there which has a nice vibe and great location right on the water. A few doors down is the staple ice cream place, Big Olaf's. Avalon is small so you'll easily see it all. A pro tip would be to call the Inn On Mt. Ada (the old wrigley mansion up on the hill) and see if they will let you have lunch up there (they normally only allow guests to eat up there but if it's low occupancy when you're there they might have room). View is spectacular. Have fun!

1. Avalon (city)
  2. Bluewater Avalon (restaurant)
  3. Big Olaf's (restaurant)
  4. Inn On Mt. Ada (hotel)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Not sure if you are renting a golf cart.  I don't think you need one, but if its going to be an extended stay, I'd rent one for at least an hour to cruise around the town.  Pretty fun way to take in the feel of the place.

Bluewater Avalon is a great place to eat or drink right in the middle of the marina.  During the day, a visit to Descanso Beach to hang out by the water and drink some Buffalo Milks (Catalina's signature drink) is probably in order.  You can rent kayaks and paddle boards there too.  It used to be pretty basic, but over the past 10 years has morphed into a pretty slick spot:

Up the canyon from the beach, there is a zip line operation if you feel like being adventurous.  

At night, the Marlin Club is the classic, Avalon dive bar.  Good, seedy times.

1. Descanso Beach (attraction)
  2. Marlin Club (attraction)
  3. Bluewater Avalon (restaurant)

Erin from Avalon

Taste of Catalina Food Tours is something you might want to consider - they have a walking tour that includes 6 tastes (plenty for lunch) plus history, info on current events and happenings, and takes you around town to give you ideas on what you might want to do later.  Their guides are super friendly and knowledgeable.  

1. Taste of Catalina Food Tours (restaurant)