Mackenzie
Maryland

Carlsbad (California), San Diego

Fun things to do?

I'm staying with my brother for about 5 days in Carlsbad and I really want to take advantage of my time here. Im looking for fun, inexpensive things to do that aren't very touristy (for example, I don't want to go to Disney Land or Knotts Berry Farm). Also, I wouldn't mind driving about an hour or so. Cool views, hiking spots, interesting museums or anything else would be appreciated!

Heather from Carlsbad (California)

My favorite hiking spot is Torrey Pines State Park. If you're looking for some more challenging hikes, Iron Mountain and the "Potato Chip Rock" hike are inland and pretty cool. There's also a hiking trail in Carlsbad where you can do a little hike to an extinct volcano that's pretty cool. It's called the Calavera Nature Preserve. If it's museums you're looking for, head to Balboa Park in San Diego where there are museums for everything from art to aerospace, Japanese gardens, etc. Plus Balboa Park itself is really nice to walk around during the day.

Definitely check out the meditation gardens at the Self-Realization Fellowship in Encinitas. I know that sounds super religious, but the gardens are open to the public every day except Monday and they are incredibly beautiful with amazing foliage, beautiful views of the cliffs and coastline, and koi ponds. Plus it's a really serene place to hang out. 

The beaches around this area are all really nice so you can't go wrong really, but I do warn you the ocean is colder than you might think. If you want to go swimming without freezing in the ocean, the Alga Norte Community Park aquatic center is only $5 to get in and is actually a really nice place to hang out and swim or just lay in the sun.

There's a farmer's market in Carlsbad on Wednesday evenings that's fun to go to, but I really recommend the Thursday evening Oceanside Sunset Market. It's every Thursday night and there are booths with just about every type of cuisine imaginable. You can get an affordable dinner from any kind of food from around the world, and they also always have some sort of entertainment like a live band or other performer. 

Some of my favorite restaurants in the area....

Encinitas Fish Shop

Pollos Maria

Sabor de Vida Brazilian Grill

Ocean Thai Cuisine

1. Torrey Pines State Park (attraction)
  2. Calavera Nature Preserve (attraction)
  3. Balboa Park (attraction)
  4. Self-Realization Fellowship (attraction)
  5. Encinitas (city)
  6. Alga Norte Community Park (attraction)
  7. Encinitas Fish Shop (restaurant)
  8. Pollos Maria (restaurant)
  9. Sabor de Vida Brazilian Grill (restaurant)
  10. Ocean Thai Cuisine (restaurant)

Roberta from Carlsbad (California)

Take the train downtown to walk around The Wharf, visit Balboa ParkGaslamp Quarter.

Seaport Village Take 1-2 Hr harbor cruise, $5 boat to Coronado IslandHotel Del CoronadoHotel Del Coronado, see a Padres game. 

Check out groupon or living social for discounts.  

In Carlsbad: walk/bike along beach on Pacific Coast Hwy, listen to live music each evening at The Coyote Bar & Grillaround outdoor fire pits, visit flower fields Palomar Airport Rd., farmers market on Wed, 

Complimentary tour of Gemological Institute of America (gemological institute) facility,  

Encinitas(close by next to Carlsbad (California) ): visit Self-Realization Fellowshipcenter garden on bluff overlooking  

Ocean on PCH. Peaceful, serene, beautiful. Free. 

Relax and have fun!

1. The Wharf (attraction)
  2. Balboa Park (attraction)
  3. Gaslamp Quarter (attraction)
  4. Seaport Village (attraction)
  5. Coronado Island (island)
  6. Hotel Del Coronado (hotel)
  7. Pacific Coast Hwy (attraction)
  8. The Coyote Bar & Grill (attraction)
  9. Gemological Institute of America (attraction)
  10. Encinitas (city)
  11. Carlsbad (California) (city)
  12. Self-Realization Fellowship (attraction)

LadyPhof

Devil's Punchbowl Natural Area, in San Diego county... Gorgeous. Waterfall at the end of a bit of a adventurous hike. Pack a lunch, lots of water, and wear your suit! Good times!

1. Devil's Punchbowl Natural Area (attraction)