Roger
West Des Moines

Carcassonne, Avignon

Worthwhile stops on drive from Carcassonne to Avignon, France.

My wife and I will be driving from Carcassonne to Avignon in July.  We want to take our time and stop along the way.  Does anyone have advice as to the route to take, villages/towns to stop, restaurant for lunch, scenic stops, etc.? 

Janice from Toronto, Ontario

I highly recommend Montpellier. I stayed there for a week in 2014 and loved it. Lively place with great restaurants. Particularly enjoyed taking the train to Sete, which is a seaside town. I also agree with Floriane who wrote about Pont du Gard. I highly recommend renting a kayak and paddling under the Pont and down the River Gardon. Uzes is nice as is Nimes due to its Roman ruins (ampitheatre) as is Chateauneuf-du-Pape for its wine. When you are in Avignon you'll be near L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue which has an amazing market (antiques and food). Check out my website, www.Francetraveltips.com and check out the "Top 100 Experiences" (think I am at #45 but a number on your route are listed). Also check out my post about kayaking down the River and going to markets in Provence. You'll love it in the south of France.

1. Montpellier (attraction)
  2. Sete (city)
  3. Pont du Gard (attraction)
  4. Uzes (city)
  5. Nimes (attraction)
  6. Chateauneuf-du-Pape (city)
  7. Avignon (city)
  8. L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (city)

Floriane from La Rochelle, France

Hi! I'm not very aware of small villages on the way (I'm just not from there), but I do know about bigger towns, and some over there are really worth it! I'm thinking of Nimes and Arles (Montpellier is nice too).
The thing is, it will most likely be crowded in July... but those have beautiful heritage from the Romans! (arenas and everything) Also, you should probably stop by Pont du Gard, which is like the most famous roman aqueduct in France.

Another more place I'd advice is the Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue. It's a bit more South, but it has really nice marshes to see (I'm pretty sure you can do horse riding in these). One more place: Aigues-Mortes. It's a little medieval town in that area with stone walls around it.

I hope it helps :) Enjoy your time over there!

1. Nimes (attraction)
  2. Arles (city)
  3. Montpellier (attraction)
  4. Pont du Gard (attraction)
  5. Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue (attraction)
  6. Aigues-Mortes (city)