Alex

Alex from London asked

Winter and hidden Cappaddocia

Looking for advice on hidden/ off the beaten track activities and places to visit in Cappadoccia in high winter.

Also, anyone havve recommendations for a good ballooning company. Essentially looking for smaller balloons (less people) and a great safety record.

Cappadocia (Turkey)

Travis from Kamloops

You'll have a blast in Cappadocia, especially in the winter. We were there last December and had an amazing time. There were comparatively few tourists, no one bothered you or tried to sell you anything, and the weather was still fairly mild. I would definitely recommend doing some hikes (Rose/Red Valley, Love, and Pigeon Valley are all great), visit the Göreme Open Air Museum (I've heard it sucks in the high season, but it was almost empty when we were there and it was absolutely great), and check out a couple cities - each has their own character (GoremeUchisarÇavuşin, Ortahisar,  etc.).

Captivating Cappadocia (who I'm pretty sure is not affiliated with any places) did a number of posts on balloon companies (linked below). We used Butterfly Balloons based on talking with our hosts. They asked us if we knew who we wanted to go with and we told them we had done a little research but hadn't settled on anyone in particular. They gave us a number of options and told us a little about the pros and cons of each...based on their recommendation and what we read, we settled on Butterfly. Our guide was awesome, we were one of the first up in the sky, we had an amazing ride, and it was something we will never forget. 

The Captivating Cappadocia site also has some great hikes, walking routes, suggestions on things to do, etc. - we found it very useful in planning. 

Here's a link to our site, in case you want to see photos of the places I spoke about - http://haveblogwilltravel.org/category/turkey/cappadocia

...and the Captivating Cappadocia site - http://www.captivatingcappadocia.com/cappadocia-hot-air-balloon-company/

Hope you have an awesome time...what city are you staying in by the way? I don't know if any one is better than the others, but it might affect which company you use or which places you go to.

Alex
Wow, thanks so much for the detailed answer. This is really helpful!!! Did you use any tour companies or guides? Loved your blog post, great that you mentioned hiking as it's one of my fav activities!

Travis
We did most of the hiking by ourselves using maps from the internet. Obviously the balloon we did with Butterfly, but I think that is the only thing we did with a tour company.

Alex
Cool! Thanks for that, all booked on butterfly ;)

1. Göreme Open Air Museum (attraction)
  2. Goreme (city)
  3. Uchisar (city)
  4. Çavuşin (city)
  5. Ortahisar (city)
Tolga from Cappadocia

We used www.taskonaklar.com/blog for ideas on activities, trekking maps and several different to-do list's according to how many days you have in Cappadocia . we were also quite happy with the hotel and I think they have discount during the winter season

Alex
That's great advice! Got loads of direction from the blog, thanks!

1. Cappadocia (region)
Diana from Lisbon

Hello Alex,

I recently came back from Cappadocia and it is definitely a place that one cannot miss if planning a trip to Turkey.

But about what to do either during winter or springtime, in the most genuine and off-beaten way possible, I wrote on this blog post: 

A walk on the moon in Cappadocia

Alex
Thanks for this! I postponed my Feb trip so your blog post will so definitely be useful! Really appreciate it!

1. Cappadocia (region)
Bianca from Miami

There's a really cool market in Avanos where you can buy all kinds of interesting local crafts, food, etc. I believe it's only on Fridays, so plan accordingly.

Also, you haven't lived until you've been to the hair museum at Chez Galip Çömlek Atölyesi. Yes, you did read that correctly -- it's a hair museum!  If you're in the mood you can even make your own "donation" to the museum. 

Alex
Thanks for this Bianca. Shall def check out that hair museum ; D

Bianca
Ha, you're welcome! Let me know how you like it!