Rosanna
Aalsmeer

Cape Town, South Africa

vaccinations for Cape-Town?

I am wondering about your experiences in Cape-Town. Which vaccins did you have and which do you advise me? Or is it best to get all...? On the internet they give me these options:

malaria, yellow fever, hepatitis A + B, tuberculosis, Dengue, rabies, measles, schistosomiasis (&others?)

Please share your opinion about it with me!

Erfan from Charlotte

I went to both Johannesburg and Cape Town 2 years ago and didn't get any shots. You don't need any in my opinion. Specially if you are going to Cape-Town only

1. Johannesburg (city)
  2. Cape Town (attraction)

Lisa-Marie from Johannesburg, Gauteng

I am from CT and I have never needed any of these vaccinations. We don't have a massive problem with any of these kind of things there. If you really want to just be careful I would just get yellow fever shots (as this is something you would only need to get once in your life and then you know you're safe to travel anywhere in Africa-which is a spectacular experience) and I would just take precautionary measures with mosquitoes...We don't have malaria in Cape Town but mosquitoes can be annoying once you start moving inland. 

Stephan from Potchefstroom

Haha, I don't think all that is necessary for Cape Town. It is one of the best cities in the world. Yes it is in Africa, but you wont get malaria in Cape town. 

Gerrie from Polokwane

Dengue fever is not found in Southern Africa at all.

I once came back to SA from Thailand with dengue fever and not a single doctor in South Africa knew what was wrong with me because none of them knew the disease....so no need to worry about that one.

Gerrie from Polokwane

Rosanna, you don't need any shots for SA.

If you're travelling waaay up North during the hot summer months like to Kruger or over any of the Northern borders, you need to take Malaria meds.

Gerrie from Polokwane

For Cape Town, you don't need anything.

Plus you can drink the water safely out of any tap as well.

Richard from Cape Town

Hi Rosanna, Cape Town isn't a risk area for any of the above diseases and I can't find any literature that suggest you need any of the listed vaccines to travel there. It is more of a suggestion when it come to malaria. Malaria vaccine is needed only if you travel to the extreme north of the country but that's a rough vaccine to take and can make you feel pretty crappy, so I suggest take it only when you plan to travel to a posted malaria zone.