Caroline

Cape Town

Taste of Garden Route

I would love some advice. We are hiring a car in Cape Town after staying there for 4 nights. I have booked a hotel for one night in Gansbaii to see the whales, 2 nights in Wilderness and then 2 nights in Stellenbosch. We then fly to Madikwe for a bit of a safari. 

We are looking for a route between Gansbaai and Wilderness and then Wilderness and Stellenbosch which would provide us with the best scenery, picturesque places to stop and eat without feeling that we're rushing it. I appreciate that we are only getting a taster of the Garden route. That's fine .... we'll just have to come back again. 

We are 2 couples who enjoy nature, wine and taking it easy. (I.e. Not looking for action and adventure.) 

Thanks to anyone who can help.

David from Cape Town

I would suggest generally sticking to the main highway, which for GansbaaiGansbaai to WildernessWilderness would be the N2.  A nice detour off that route for a walk in an awesome area would be to Montague.  Also in the area, and my favourite is Greyton.

There is no shortage of wine farms in StellenboschStellenbosch, but I would recommend the wine tour in FranschhoekFranschoek (they do a tour from the town center which is very well set up and stunning farms)

Wilderness is a great decision - small town, but lots to do.  Go see "map of Africa", nice drive up there.  There is a coffee shop in the town, across the road from the "main" shopping center.. cant remember the name.. but its hippi'ish, and one of the best coffee shops I know of.

Its a bit far off the track, but from Wilderness its nice to go to Birds of Edenin Plett to see the Avary and Monkeyland (www.birdsofeden.co.za).  Well worth it! My favourite was to see a flock of parrots, and walk around with monkeys jumping over your head!

Hope this helps.

If you have not booked a car, you are welcome to get a quote from us (Wise Wheels Car Rental), or if you want a bigger car, try South Africa Car Hire .com

1. Gansbaai (city)
  2. Wilderness (city)
  3. Stellenbosch (city)
  4. Franschhoek (city)
  5. Birds of Eden (attraction)