Ray
Dallas

Cape Town, Kruger National Park

How to split time cape town and kruger park?

Looking to do trip late February/early March for 11 nights to South Africa. Two of us early 30s. Like beach, photo ops, night life, outdoor activities. 

Wanting to split the time between Cape Town and Kruger Park.

Questions:

1) Currently looking at 7 or 8 nights in Cape town and do a 3 day/2 night private lodge Safari tour.  This sound like a good split? Enough to see around Cape Town if rent a car?

2) Coming from the USA, how easy is it to get accustomed to driving on the left side of the road?  Is Cape Town traffic going to be so hectic that this will be a headache?

3) What shouldnt be missed in Cape Town for photo-ops?

Thanks

Sascha from Vlieland

1) I only have seen Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and back so not Kruger Park.

I would definitely recommend you to rent a car, you are nowhere without it. there is not really an other way you can get around.

2) I am from Holland (sorry if my English is bad) and yeah, at first it is weird and stuf but the roads are so different there. It is nothing with traffic like here. there is just one road that goes on and on for miles and every one is very social with passing, they thank each other with there lights! that is so cool. So we got used to is pretty soon. you do have to be very careful at a crossing. You should observe one before driving on it because if you don't get it, it is very dangerous. they just let you all go green and than it's up to you to get to the other side. my friend had an little accident there.

3)

1. don't do table mountain with the cableway!! Make the hike that is called 'skeleton gorge' you're going to sweat a lot, but that is all worth it!! most amazing view, I liked that even more than 'platteklip' (the famous part) this hike starst at Kirstenbosh witch is also worth your time! (bring an student card, it gives you discount)

2. go hiking up lionshead and watch the sun set.

3. if you're going to de garden route there is a backpackers called 'wild spirit' that place is amazing!! best place I have ever been, a view you will never forget.

4. go bungee jumping 

5. in natures valley there is an hike that leads you to an lagoon that also is amazing (I've run out of other words for 'amazing').

6. Swartberg Pass is beautiful but a long ride from Cape-town that is between Prince Albert and Oudtshoorn

7. there is an hike called 'suicide gorge' on that hike you can do cool jumps from very high into the water. would absolutely recommend that if you like the adrenaline rush.

I have done a lot of hikes an seen a lot, if you would like to now more you can always ask!

greetings from the Netherland - Sascha

1. Cape Town (attraction)
  2. Port Elizabeth (city)
  3. Kruger Park (attraction)
  4. Swartberg Pass (attraction)
  5. Prince Albert (attraction)
  6. Oudtshoorn (city)

Stephanus from Cape Town, Western Cape

Hi Ray.  

Apologies... First Time answering. March is the perfect time.  

That's a great split. I've spoken to plenty of tourist and most opt for that. If you still want to see some wild life. There is options in the Cape area as well for day safaris. Plenty to do and see around cape town. Traffic is not too hectic and we have the usual morning traffic rush into town and afternoon out of town. Capetonian are pretty forgiving so you don't have to worry. Driving is definitely the way to go as you would want to explore the peninsula. Go check out the dune boarding - booking essential. . And wine tasting in Franschhoek and penguins in Hermanus. Food us great with Top restaurants and great value for money with the dollar at around 13 to the rand. And night life is great. Check out Mothers Ruin gin bar and orphanage. Feel free to ask anymore questions.  

Enjoy planning your trip.  

Steph

Alon

Hey Ray,

Thanks for coming to visit our world get in touch if you care to.

Comments on your questions:

1) So 7 days in CPT is good. If you are looking for social/dating/beach. Feb is hot. So you'll be doing well. 

There's a lot to see in SA. So you could also do a bit of the garden route with this time. If you wanted to go explore this. 

(depends on the kind of traveling you want)

3 days in Kruger is good – this I would do on the way out [via JHB – back to JHB + return home]

re car: if you plan to stay in CPT – UBER. If you want to move around rent a car. Should be able to pick on up when you arrive as it's not still too high season – look into this more.

2) Driving in SA is fine. Not hardcore. You'll get the hang on it... (traffic nothing like US)

3) Things to do in CPT/SA, there's plenty... You'll fall over it. Everything is good + great value for money... Careful not to fall in love with the country – many have.