Andreas
Manhattan

Cape Town

Best spots for wine tasting in Cape Town?

What are the best wineries in Cape Town to do wine tastings? Do people usually have a driver/tour, or just rent a car and drive along the various wine routes? Do I need to make appointments? Any advice would be appreciated.  I look forward to checking out the South African wine scene!

Lee from Johannesburg

Hi Andreas, well I used to live in Cape Town beautiful place :-)

The best wine routes for me are a bit further away from Cape Town itself, it's called the Winelands.  My personal favorite is, Fairview Wine Estate (Fairview Wine Estate) near Paarl. Love their wine and of coarse the Goats cheese.

Doing a self drive "tour" for me is better, then you can do it on your own time. But since you are not from SA it might be better to take the wine tour option. 

There's a lot of wine tours with different options, prices, etc... Here are a few places that offers wine tasting tours: 

http://www.winelands.co.za/wine-tours/daily-winelands-tour

http://www.winedesk.co.za/

http://www.wineflies.co.za/

http://www.winetourscapetown.com/

I hope this helps, if not I hope that someone gives you the right info.

1. Fairview Wine Estate (restaurant)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

I am a big fan of combining Morgenhof Wine EstateDelheim Wine Estate and Muratie Wine Estate.  These wineries are easily accessible from Cape Town and/or Stellenbosch and offer different positives (listed in order of how I would visit):  

• Morgenhof is a great example of Cape Dutch architecture with beautiful grounds and a nice restaurant
  • Delheim is nestled up against the mountains in a picturesque setting
  • Muratie is a tiny, family run place (known for great port).

For another classic setting, Boschendal Wine Estate is an incredibly beautiful spot in an amazing setting between Stellenbosch and Franschoek (another good place to have lunch).

1. Morgenhof Wine Estate (attraction)
  2. Delheim Wine Estate (attraction)
  3. Muratie Wine Estate (attraction)
  4. Boschendal Wine Estate (attraction)

Bridge from San Francisco

The most popular places to go are Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. The two have pretty different feels, depending on what you're looking for.

• Stellenbosch is also a big university/college town, and is a bit more casual and seemed to have more larger wineries. 
  • Franschhoek is a bit quieter, seems to focus on fine dining and smaller vinyards -- more commonly family owned and small. It is more similar to Sonoma, but that isn't a great comparison.

Reservations & Appointments

• Some of the smaller vineyards are by appointment only. The larger ones it can be helpful.
  • If you are going to lunch in Stellenbosch at a winery, I'd recommend making a reservation.

Getting There - Any of your ways will work fine. This is more about what you're looking for.

• Rent a Car - You get to choose exactly where you go and when. The drive is beautiful.
  • Tour Group - You don't want to plan anything and don't mind a more commercial & crowded experience.
  • Driver - You want some flexibility, but an area expert may be helpful in coordinating where you're going or making recommendations (or you expect to drink heavily).

1. Stellenbosch (city)
  2. Franschhoek (city)

Trudy from Powder Springs

I didn't go to a wine tasting. Went on Tour bus one day then had private driver /tour the second day.   You will need to make a reservation for the ferry to Robben Island.  It only goes out a couple of times a day and they  get full.  Worth seeing.

1. Robben Island (island)

Collette from Johannesburg, Gauteng

You should definitely check out Babylonstoren, it's beautiful, as well as Kanonkop (one of the tried and tested best), both of these are in Stellenbosch, but try some of the wineries in Franschhoek too. We enjoy Haute Cabriere Cellar Restaurant for their sparkling wine, their restaurant is really good too, as are the restaurants at Le Quartier Français Restaurant, with The Tasting Room  being one of the best in South Africa. As for transport, people generally hire cars and drive the routes, but tours are available as are taxis and Uber... Appointments at the estates aren't necessary.  Hope that helps.

1. Babylonstoren (attraction)
  2. Stellenbosch (city)
  3. Franschhoek (city)
  4. Haute Cabriere Cellar Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Le Quartier Français Restaurant (restaurant)