Jenna
Providence

Cancun

What are the most popular areas to stay in Cancun?

Flight booked to Cancun! Now we just need to figure out where to stay. It's our first time, so I'd love to know what are the most popular areas to stay in Cancun and if you have any favorite hotels, thanks!

Marina from Fort Lauderdale

I love Cancun! The best hotels are to the east. If you're looking for the younger, party scene ME Cancún is definitely where you want to be. It's super trendy here, and there are some fun all inclusive beach clubs to check out during the day. 

Le Blanc Spa Resort is right down the way from ME and this place is so beautiful! Sort of looks like it belongs on Santorini and the best part, it isn't that expensive!

Another great one to look at is JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, a little less luxurious, and low key. 

1. Cancun (city)
  2. ME Cancún (hotel)
  3. Le Blanc Spa Resort (hotel)
  4. JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa (hotel)

Glaide from La Garita, Jalisco, Mexico

1. Playa del Carmen (city)

Kristi from Fresno

I am a travel agent who specializes in Caribbean & Mexico.  I have been to Cancun many times and stayed at multiple all-inclusive resorts.  It would be helpful to know what you are looking for - adults-only, family with kids, good food, lots of entertainment, big pool areas, best beach, etc.   Do you want to stay in Cancun hotel zone with all the high rises or in Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen areas where the resorts are not as big and feel more Mexican? 

These are the types of things I ask my clients before I make recommendations as to be resorts for them.  

Tess from Columbus

It really depends on your budget. Staying downtown and taking the 10 peso bus to the beach is a good option for the budget traveler. Beaches in Mexico are public, so you can walk the length of the beach if you like and go swimming anywhere. There are all varieties of hotels and all-inclusives along the beach in Cancun. I also recommend Playa del Carmen -very walkable and lots of options for lodging and dining to suit all budgets. Have fun.

Montserrat from Mexico City, Mexico

Hello Jenna,

well fist of all if you have already decided that you are staying IN Cancun if not yet and still deciding i completely recommend Playa del Carmen as an option. This is a small town full of life, many things to do and the best thing is that you can walk around town, cancun is big and for moving around you will need a car, everything is pretty far. Also you will find more fun thing in Playa del Carmen. Do not know with whom you are travelling with but is more an experience being in here. In Cancun can tell you any hotel in Hotel Zone will be pretty most the same, of course depnds of your budget and if you want all inclusive or not. :)

hope it helps my recommendation

1. Cancun (city)
  2. Playa del Carmen (city)

Marcus

Grand Oasis Palm is awesome if you like to party it up all day/all night, plus I believe they have a groupon special for like 199/night all inclusive

1. Grand Oasis Palm (hotel)

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

Definitively the hotel zone is the most popular area. 

Juliana from Las Vegas

The “Hotel Zone” in Cancun is probably where most people stay when they come here. It’s a strip of beach along which there are dozens of hotels. Very touristy but also very convenient. South of Cancun, there’s the Riviera Maya which I prefer. Not as crowded, less craziness, and amazing Mayan ruins. If you like snorkeling or diving I would do it here. You’re probably familiar with the name Playa del Carmen which is a lovely beach city in the area. Further south, you’ll find my favorite area, Tulum. Tulum is so pretty and not nearly as touristy as Cancun although it’s become very popular in the last few years. If you go to Tulum, make sure you see the famous cenotes that are these unbelievable holes filled with water. The Mayans used to use them as places to throw human sacrifices but now you can just swim in them. Its way cool.

1. Riviera Maya (city)
  2. Playa del Carmen (city)
  3. Tulum (city)