Suzie asked

Safety

How safe is the drive from Maztalan to Canun?

Mazatlan (Mexico) Cancun (Mexico)

I don't know about safety but it is a LONG drive if you mean Mazatlan  And even if you mean Mazatlan 31 you can't really drive to Cozumel because Cozumel is an island.  You would have to take a ferry to get there.

Suzie
We are taking the ferry over from LaPaz..and driving to Playa del Carmen with a cargo trailer. We heard it can be unsafe ??

My experience in Mexico (which is only on the Caribbean coast) is that people who don't really know anything about it have wild tales about how terrible it is. I was told never to go off the main street in Cozumel because there had been some robberies in Mexico CIty (for instance). So I have never driven anywhere at all in Mexico - I do not know this from personal experience. But I would want someone who said it was unsafe to give me specifics. Are the roads bad? Are the police corrupt and apt to give you a ticket and want you to pay them on the spot? Or will you be shot as you drive by (as you might in Washington D.C. or Baltimore)?

1. Mazatlan (city)
  2. Mazatlan 31 (attraction)
  3. Cozumel (island)
Rafa

That is a very long trip. Try to avoid driving at night. Use the main highways. You should be ok.

Miriam from New Jersey
I would take a plane. If you must drive, do not go alone & do not drive at night at all.