Virpal

Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel

Cancun/Playa del Carmen/Cozumel: What's the best place to stay and dive?

I'll be in Mexico with a friend for 4 nights, 5 days in mid April. Plan on checking out Chichen Itza, Tulum, Isla Mujeres, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun and possibly Cozumel. Trying to decide the best resort to stay out, based on the places we want to go and the things we want to do (see the ruins, our first dive, maybe snorkeling, beach time, going out at night (no teenagers, we are in our early 30's), etc. I would like to spend no more than $500 eac total (if possible) on our accomodations, excursions, food, etc.

I appreciate any and all suggestions/recommendations on resorts, diving, and anything else. Thanks in advance and happy traveling!

Veronica from Fort Worth

I would stay at InterContinental Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa and use Dive Paradise in Cozumel for excursions.

1. InterContinental Presidente Cozumel Resort Spa (hotel)
  2. Dive Paradise (attraction)

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

If diving is your main concern then you have to decide: would you rather dive in reefs or in cenotes?

If you choose reefs then for sure Cozumel is the weapon of choice. An island surrounded by reefs such as with different levels of skill required, most of them for intermediate - high experienced divers. The only disadvantage is that in order to dive Cenotes you will have to cross back to mainland. 

If you're into doing only cenotes or both cenotes-reefs of them then you might stay in Playa del Carmen, the most cosmopolitan city in the surroundings. There you can ask at Playa Diving Center. Friendly high experienced guys who I know personally and I can freely recommend. 

Hope this helps. Warm regards!

1. Cozumel (island)
  2. Playa del Carmen (city)
  3. Playa Diving Center (attraction)

Stephanie from San Francisco

That's a lot of activities for a short period of time. I stayed at an Airbnb right by Calypso Hotel in the hotel zone (kilometer 4) with one friend and split it for $38 each a night. This was for 7 days, so that's already about half your budget. If you stay near bus stops then it will save you money as well (which is what I did). Scuba Cancun is also close by and around $60-$80 for a two tank dive. Do a day trip to one of those other locations you want to go to, then check out some local beaches like Playa Langosta, S.A. De C.V. to also keep your costs down.

1. Calypso Hotel (hotel)
  2. Scuba Cancun (attraction)
  3. Playa Langosta, S.A. De C.V. (attraction)

Gustavo Andrés from Lima (Peru)

Hi! The best way to know about Cancun and Quintana Roo in general is by knowing a local person. Feel free to contact one of my friend's there, she will be glad to help, at least with useful information: 

https://twitter.com/monkgarza 

1. Cancun (city)
  2. Quintana Roo (city)

Eyal from Haifa

About the diving, If you plan to stay in Tulum, I recommend going to the Dos Ojos Cenotes. I personally stayed on the cabines in the lovely beach nearby.

1. Tulum (city)
  2. Dos Ojos Cenotes (attraction)