Valerie
Seattle

Cancun

Limited Time, Unlimited Energy! What to do?

Hey all! I'm headed to TBEX in Cancun next week, and need some suggestions. The conference is at the Moon Palace Resort, but I'd love to spend at least a little time learning about the place I'm in. 

Does anyone know what's near this resort that is worth doing between sessions? I know the point of all-inclusive is to not wander off the beaten path, but I'd love to get as authentic as I can! Any suggestions: things to do, places to eat, views of the city, beaches, etc! I want it all. Budget isn't unlimited, but I've never been to Mexico before, so I'm willing to splurge if need be!

Thanks in advance!

Sarah from Los Angeles

The hotel zone is pretty touristy, but there are some options. A cultural museum opened recently right in front of The Royal Caribbean Hotel, which should be just down the street from where you're staying. And for restaurants, try La Habichuela Sunset it's really good, authentic Mexican food with a view of the lagoon. There's another location downtown as well, but this one would be closer to where you're staying and has a better view. And while this isn't really a cultural thing, you can go on a jet ski tour, which is so much fun. You start in the lagoon and head out into the ocean to snorkel. Your hotel should be able to arrange it for you. And if you have time to get out of the Hotel Zone, downtown Cancun is where the locals live and hangout, it's just a bus ride away. And there are day trips to Coba, Chichen Itza and other sites too. Have fun!

1. The Royal Caribbean Hotel (hotel)
  2. La Habichuela Sunset (restaurant)

Lourdes from Miami

Xoximilco Cancun is right by Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort. Their excursions start around 7 pm so I think you'll have time to enjoy the food, drink, music and fun after the event!

1. Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort (hotel)
  2. Xoximilco (attraction)

Tess from Columbus

Moon Palace is a spectacular property, but you are a a captive guest and not close to public transportation. You will have to take a taxi to get out of the resort - unless TBEX has arranged something. To see a bit of more traditional Mexico, head down the Puerto Morelos, which hasn't been over run by big resorts - yet.  As somebody else recommended, go see a cenote.

1. Puerto Morelos (city)

James from Dallas

Check out Cancun Adventure Tours for awesome scuba or snorkeling. 

Also check out Dos Ojos Lodge if you can. This is one of the absolute best cenotes in Cancun, just a little off the beaten path but you can take a bus there for under $5.

One of the most beautiful beaches without tourists and completely pristine waters is Playacar  It's in Playa del Carmen which is about a 40 minute bus ride from Cancun but totally worth it.  I wouldn't go to Cancun without visiting Playa del Carmen for at least 1-2 days.  

If you do want to use the bus just find the nearest ADO station and buy a 1 way ticket.  Cancun to Playa del Carmen is only $5 too.  

If you want more ideas feel free to check out our iPhone app at Yucatan GO!. You can book activities directly from your phone, pay securely with paypal and of course if you need any more tips or support you can always contact us!

Happy travels!

1. Cancun Adventure Tours (attraction)
  2. Dos Ojos Lodge (hotel)
  3. Playacar (neighborhood)