Joshua
Charlotte

Joshua from Charlotte asked

Is a road trip from Cancun to Belize safe?

I'm considering flying into Cancun and driving through Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo and ultimately end up in Belize.

From Belize, I'd either fly back to the U.S. or drive back up to Cancun for my return flight.

I've mentioned this to several people who've lived up and down that area and the first thing they say is always some variation of "Don't drive from Cancun to Belize unless you are prepared to get your tires shot out and robbed. Take a flight." What gives? Is this outdated information or is that still a real concern for that route?

Cancun   Playa del Carmen   Riviera Maya   Quintana Roo   Belize

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

I consider it completely safe from people shooting at your tires.

One thing to bear in mind is: The road from Tulum to Chetumal is a two lane road. One to go and one to come back, meaning that if you get stuck behind a truck you might spend some time behind it. I would stick to Scott's advice and never ever drive at night. I mean: that wouldn't  be for all the country since there are some good roads in other places. But for this one: drive with the daylight.

Scott from Bainbridge Island

Yes...totally safe. However - and this goes for the whole country - do not drive at night.

I've driven this stretch a dozen times in both directions over the last 10 years. It's one of the longest and best quality stretches of free/public roads in the entire country: new cement road-bed and wide shoulders.

Make sure you stop in Bacalar north of Chetumal to take in the town and swim in the fresh water lake there. It's drop-dead gorgeous...all 25 miles of it!

Joshua
By that stretch, I take it you mean the México 307 stretch of road?

Scott
#307 = yes. Also - if you have the time - stop and visit the impressive Mayan archeological site of Chacchoben, which is just a couple miles west of 307. The turn-off on the right is well marked. I've spied spider monkeys and also foxes on my visits there.

1. Bacalar (attraction)
  2. Chetumal (attraction)
Ed from Salt Lake City

CancunCancun is our favorite way to get to Belize.  The most competitive airfares and the most abundant choice of flight times in the region are going to take you to that airport. But you don't need to rent a car and drive.  The buses are a great way to get around.  You can catch them right at the airport.  Take one to the station in Playa del Carmen and buy a ticket to your next stop there.  Collectivos for short hops you catch along the road are cheap and often more convenient.  Taxis are good for even shorter hops. 

Our favorite destination in Belize isCaye Caulker,  Bus to Chetumal, spend the night, take a cab across the border the next morning into Corozal to catch the fast boat at 7:30 AM into Ambergris Caye, Belize.  Then the ferry to Caye Caulker by noon.  Or take your time and make more stops.  I think they may have extended the fast boat into Chetumal so the taxi to Corozal may be unnecessary.  Cancun is probably the least safe of all the spots on route, I've had restaurants there try to make me buy plates I didn't order, and I once was stopped there by the policia for a shakedown.  That was a long time ago, but that doesn't happen on buses.  I doubt you will have more trouble than that unless you go looking for it. Your naysayers have no credibility. 

1. Cancun (city)
  2. Playa del Carmen (city)
  3. Caye Caulker (island)
  4. Chetumal (city)
  5. Corozal (attraction)
  6. Ambergris Caye, Belize (attraction)