Klim
Vancouver

Cancun

Best place to learn/spend time surfing in Cancun?

Looking for a great place to experience surfing in the Cancun area (Beginning of March). I have wind-surfed so I figure I'll pick it up with a little practice (and a lot of tumbling). But wondering where the best place would be to get a good deal to rent boards and spend time with some waves?

Coming from Canada, first time in Mexico, so feel free to let me know what I should keep in mind. Staying at an all-inclusive (for a week) but not sure how good the surf will be there so interested to know my options.

Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

Well Klim, you should know at first that there's no many waves in Cancun. Cancun's shore is pretty shallow which does not allow big waves to form. You can windsurf or kite surf and during march probably there will be good wind from the south east. Nevertheless... I've seen people doing paddle board and some-kind-of surfing in Playa delfines, for instance. 

Some of my friends run the group Surf In Playa  (https://www.facebook.com/groups/618141801553138/) probably they will be able to point you out to some good surfing experiences in the area.

Warm Regards!

Scott from Chicago

360° Surf School is probably the most popular surfing school in Cancun and I know they cater to new surfers so you might want to try them. Rosa Mirador is a great surfing spot and I know there’s a little stand where you can rent a board.

Try Gnarly Surf School. Great lessons. Remember that Cancun’s waves aren’t really that big so surfing isn’t really that big here. But I thought it was great because it makes it easier to learn.

1. Cancun (attraction)
  2. Rosa Mirador (attraction)