Andrew
Amsterdam

Canary Islands, Lanzarote, Tenerife, Gran Canaria

Which Canary Island would you recommend for a family holiday in December?

We're thinking of booking a Winter holiday in the Canary Islands. Which island would you recommend and is the weather likely to be warm enough to enjoy being outside?

Liv from Cape Cod

Hi Andrew,

With kids I’d say Tenerife —there’s just a lot to see and a lot to do which I think is even more important with kids. There’s a beach there called Playa de las Americas which we really like because it’s very close to civilization (i.e. restaurants, etc.) so if the kids get restless or have had enough of swimming you’ve got someplace nearby.

There’s also a place on the island called Jungle Park which is part aquarium, part zoo. It’s a little on the expensive side but I know they have deals so check the Internet before you go.

There’s also a water park called Siam Park that’s pretty amazing—I’m not a water park person but I have to admit, the slides here are unbelievable. There’s one that looks like a giant temple that you have to see to believe.

The weather should be pretty mild around that time—I’d say high 50s to 60s but you’ll probably have a few days of rain. 

1. Tenerife (island)
  2. Playa de las Americas (attraction)
  3. Jungle Park (attraction)
  4. Siam Park (attraction)

Börch from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain

Tenerife South, nice weather and great to go with kids

1. Tenerife (island)