John

Canary Islands, Gran Canaria

Trip to Gran Canaria in the Fall

I am planning a trip to Gran Canaria from the US in November of 2019. I have never been there before. Any advice would be appreciated. Hotel or Air BnB? All inclusive or self-cater? What area of the island to stay on? I am into sunset so somewhere with a great view to the west would be high on my list. Anything specific to do while we are there? Is it worth it taking a boat or ferry to any nearby islands? How many days should I spend there? Last, I am thinking of connecting through Madrid. Are there any other European hubs with flights into LPA?

Evgheni
I suggest you to stay south, Mas Palomas for example. Gran Canaria is very famous for its micro climates, so from North to South, even if is just 30 minutes car, can be a big difference in temperature. Get a jacket and umbrella if going north and sunscreen if going south. When i was there made the connection for the return from Lanzarote. Is really worth it. Between the islands there are cheap boats and flights. My favourite island so far is Tenerife. Even though I love my little Malta. ;)

Mary from Leicester

Gran Canaria, like LanzaroteTenerife  and Fuerteventurais extremely popular with European holidaymakers year-round,  particularly for package holidays. 
>I am thinking of connecting through Madrid. Are there any other European hubs with flights into LPA?
Direct flights to LPA are available from many European countries and often from more than one airport within each country. You are visiting out of season so there will be a reduction in flights (and in hotel rates) but there will still be plenty of options. 
I suggest you use https://www.skyscanner.net/ to search for 'Gran Canaria Las Palmas' (LPA) and 'Everywhere'. You'll see what flights are available this December and that will give you a good idea of what flights you'll find for next November. The weeks surrounding Christmas and New Year are high season for European holidays so it's best to check flights for either early December or late January. 
I've just found early December direct flights to LPA from several airports in Germany, the UK, Spain (not just Madrid), Portugal and Switzerland as well as from Dublin, Amsterdam etc.
Skyscanner is excellent for research but it's best to book your flights on the airline's own website. Make sure you are aware of, and stay within, the airline's baggage size and weight limits. This is particularly important with European budget carriers (all safe and excellent value) but all excess charges are very high indeed.

1. Gran Canaria (city)
  2. Lanzarote (island)
  3. Tenerife (island)
  4. Fuerteventura (city)