Bernardita
Santiago

Canada

2 weeks road trip through Canada

Hi, I'm traveling with a friend (mid 30s) and it's our dream to visit Canada. What do you think about this itinerary:

Vancouver (2 full days), Whistler (a full day trip from Vancouver), Banff (3 full days. We're flying from Vancouver to Calgary and then rent a car), Quebec (2 full days. We're flying from Calgary to Quebec), Montreal (1 full day), Kingston (1 full day to do the 1000 Islands Tour), Niagara on the Fall (half a day), Niagara Fall (1 full day), Toronto (2 1/2 days). Quebec - Toronto we'll do it by car.

We have 19 days in total. I know that it is a lot to cover and that I'm being ambitious, but we don't have any more days and since it's a long journey from Chile, we want to make the most of it.

Do you think we can do this? Or maybe it's too much? At the beginning we were not including Banff, but then we saw some photos and since maybe it will be our only visit to Canada, we want to go there. We want to see the amazing landscape. We like big cities, but we also like nature, small quaint towns, maybe do some hiking (a short one), visit the lakes.

Any suggestions about the itinerary? We will be traveling in June next year.

Thanks a lot for your guidance!!!

Marie-France from Toronto

All very good advice from previous posters. I can only speak for the eastern side of the country. Yes, Montreal and Toronto are both large multi-cultural cities, but they have a very different feel. Definitely visit Quebec City which is like nowhere else in North America (especially since you're not from Europe). If you decide to spend a day in Montreal, here is how to spend it: http://bigtravelnut.com/one-day-in-montreal-a-self-guided-walking-tour/. If you have only a short time in Toronto, check out http://bigtravelnut.com/toronto-layover-what-to-see-and-do/ for ideas of what to see and do. Welcome to Canada! :)

1. Montreal (city)
  2. Toronto (city)
  3. Quebec City (city)

Christell from Quebec City

You are doing too much travelling for the time you have, I think whistler in june is nice for the road trip but I suppose you could skip it if you go to banff and lake Louise, you'll have more to see and do.  

Quebec is a must if you like historic streets, good food, in June they will open the "terrasses" so you can enjoy your meal outside :) since you are going to Toronto, skip Montreal they both are multicultural city, Toronto bigger with a lot to do., You could if you want to enjoy outdoor, rent a car and drive to Georgian Bay, great place to enjoy on the shore of a great lake, Much more interesting than a boat tour in 1000 islands in my opinion. In that in mind you could do Qc-Toronto by plane and do the travel in 2hours instead of a few days with your stops. 

Hope you'll enjoy your stay in Canada !

1. Quebec (attraction)
  2. Toronto (city)
  3. Montreal (city)
  4. Georgian Bay (attraction)

patrick from Minneapolis

Land in Quebec, drive or bus (or better yet TRAIN) to Montreal, then Toronto.   Fly to Banff, then drive or bus to Whistler and finally Vancouver.  Save the nature for the end when you will have less energy.  Skip Calgary and Kingston (Ontario).  

1. Quebec (attraction)
  2. Montreal (city)
  3. Toronto (city)
  4. Banff (city)
  5. Whistler (city)
  6. Vancouver (city)
  7. Calgary (attraction)
  8. Kingston (Ontario) (city)

Neil from Castle Rock

Banff is certainly a beautiful area but if you want spectacular Canadian scenery you should take a day ( 1 of you 2 in Banff) and drive up to Jasper thru the glaciers and lakes. This most likely is the scenery you see associated with Banff.

1. Banff (city)
  2. Jasper (city)

jenn from Calgary

I think you're trying to do way too much and you'll miss out on the best of everything in your rush. I'd recommend choosing either western Canada (BC and Alberta) or do Ontario (Canada), Quebec. Note that Quebec is a long flight from Alberta so you'll loose a day flying. 

A 19 day Western tour could hit all your highlights (cities, small towns, nature, lakes). Fly into Vancouver, take in the city, take a boat tour, maybe even go out to the island. Take one night in Whistler. Then rent a car and drive to Alberta. You can go through the interior of BC, stop in Kelowna (gorgeous lake, vineyards, hiking) etc. Kelowna is about a 6 hour drive from Vancouver and it's a beautiful drive. Then continue west to Banff. En route stop are Lake Louise (don't miss it- stunning!). Stay at least a few days in Banff. Go hiking, take in the town, day trip up to the Columbia Icefield. Then head to Calgaryfor a couple days. If you time it right try to hit the Calgary Stampede. That would be an amazing trip! 

Recommended timing: 

Vancouver- 4 days 

Vancouver Island (via ferrry) -2 days 

Whistler - 1 day 

Drive to Kelowna - 1day 

Kelowna - 3 days 

Drive to Banff 1 day 

Banff - 4 days 

Calgary - 3 days

1. Ontario (Canada) (attraction)
  2. Quebec (attraction)
  3. Kelowna (city)
  4. Lake Louise (city)
  5. Banff (city)
  6. Columbia Icefield (attraction)
  7. Calgary (attraction)

Ron from Vancouver

Yes, that's a SUPER-crowded itinerary!! Check the mileages for some of the trips you're planning - they're pretty long. I agree, drop Kingston.

Andy

Too ambitious. I don't think you're leaving enough time for yourselves for travel from airports to downtown. I would do either Whistler or Banff , not both. I would skip Kingston (Ontario). Do a boat tour in Vancouver or take the ferry to one of the islands off the coast. Your Quebec to Toronto drive will take all day. If I were doing a similar trip I would do Vancouver / Whistler, Quebec, Toronto / Niagara Falls. Skip Banff, Montreal and Kingston. Option 2, do Vancouver, Banff, Quebec, Toronto / Niagara Falls. In any case, try to cut out travel days. Have fun! I'm in Toronto and just came back from Vancouver this morning.

1. Whistler (city)
  2. Banff (city)
  3. Kingston (Ontario) (city)
  4. Vancouver (city)
  5. Quebec (attraction)
  6. Toronto (city)
  7. Niagara Falls (city)
  8. Montreal (city)

Nikky
The last time my brother and I planned our trip trough Canada was unforgettable. We made a map with points of destination and thoroughly planned how we are going to divide our roles in making a route. We decided to switch each other while driving and made an appointment at a car rent agency  when we came to Toronto. When it was completed, we proceeded to Victoria. It was  alot of fun, also we had many possibilities to see sights on our way..