Daria

Cambodia

Where to visit on the way to Cambodia?

I'm taking my first trip abroad to visit my friend living in Cambodia. Where would you suggest I stop along the way, I'll be leaving from the US. How can I make acquaintances ahead of time in those places so I have people to explore with?

Rob from Minnetonka

Luang Prabang, Laos is great! You could also try Yangon, Myanmar which has a little more action. Or try Old Bagan, Myanmar. All three have great local markets and great streetfood!

1. Luang Prabang (city)
  2. Yangon (city)
  3. Old Bagan (attraction)

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

Cambodia is a beautiful and exciting place to travel. It's great that you have a friend there!

I'm not sure where to recommend for you to stop along the way because I don't know if you are leaving from the east coast or west coast of America, what season you are traveling in, what your interests are, how long you have to travel, or what your budget is.

If you are leaving from the east coast you could fly London-Dubai-Delhi-Phnom Penh, spending time in each place.

If you are flying from the west coast your route could be Tokyo-Shanghai-Singapore-Phnom Penh

If you want to mostly explore the region you could fly to Vietnam and then explore overland there and 라오스 (Laos) before heading to Cambodia.

As far as meeting people you could look people up on couchsurfing.org. Even if you don't want to stay with them there are usually some meet up events happening in the cities or people available to show you around. You could also just show up and meet people along the way. That is fairly common.

Happy travels!

1. Cambodia (attraction)
  3. Dubai (city)
  4. Delhi (attraction)
  5. Phnom Penh (city)
  6. Tokyo (city)
  7. Shanghai (city)
  8. Singapore (country)
  9. Vietnam (attraction)
  10. 라오스 (attraction)