Samantha
Pasadena, California

Samantha from Pasadena, California asked

Wanderlust in California

I'm in Southern California (Orange County) and I am finally taking some time off of work. I am in desperate need of a getaway!

I will probably be traveling alone. I like to travel luxuriously on a budget. I'm thinking airbnb and just going up the coast, but I don't have a real destination. Where should I go for a couple of days, mid week?

I've done Santa Barbara, Solvang and Temecula. I've also traipsed around Orange County and Los Angeles. I'm at a loss to find somewhere to go that would be cool to travel by myself. I want to feel like I've gotten away without having to go too far or spend too much money.

Ideas, please!

Samantha

California (CA)

Brett from Eindhoven

have you been over to Palm Springs / Palm Desert yet?  Not too far, but can still have a little get-away with some luxury.

1. Palm Springs (city)
  2. Palm Desert (city)
John from Carlsbad (California)

Idyllwild is a nice get-away for a few days.  It's nice most of the year, but better in the winter and especially if you hit it when it snows.  There are some interesting artists' shops and even a small movie theater if you get bored, but it's mostly about relaxing and hiking.  There are many places to stay in the area, but we always rent a rustic, but comfortable cabin or room at the Idyllwild Inn which is walking distance to about everything, but seems to be by itself.  Build a fire in the fireplace in the cool months and just relax.  I think the best place to eat in the area is Cafe Aroma, which is a gem.

1. Idyllwild (city)
  2. Idyllwild Inn (attraction)
  3. Cafe Aroma (restaurant)