Michelle
Fort Myers

California, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Santa Rosa (California)

Teachers need suggestions for an urban town CA between San Francisco and LA

Hello, my husband and I are teachers and we want to move to a family friendly urban town in CA that is located between San Francisco and LA. (we have family in both cities). My husband currently teaches deaf children at an elementary school and he teaches Sign Language at a local university. (We would love to live near a college or university, but don't want a party area). We have a 4 year old and need some suggestions.

We would like to rent for a couple of years. We are okay with a townhouse if it is in a nice neighborhood.  Is it possible to find a 3 bedroom house or townhouse for about $1,500 a month in a nice area?? Please help!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. :)

~Michelle

p.s. Someone asked what I meant when I meant by "urban." We don't want to live in the city (traffic, expensive, etc) or the country/middle of nowhere. We are looking for an area where we can drive to stores within 10-20 minutes, family friendly parks & neighborhoods, good schools, and a university or college close by.

John from Carlsbad (California)

Check out San Luis Obispo.It's half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco, about 3.5 hours drive from each, an hour by plane or 5 hours by train.  It has good weather, a nice downtown, good restaurants, and is home to California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.  It's a short drive to the beach, has surrounding wineries, and the coast drive north is very scenic.  There is a small airport with easy flights to San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Phoenix, with connections to anywhere.  Check it out.

1. San Luis Obispo (city)
  2. Los Angeles (city)
  3. San Francisco (city)
  4. California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (attraction)

Pat from Cambria

I would second the suggestion of SLO. A good children's museum, historic mission, a wonderful playhouse, street fairs, and the weather for lots of hiking, local and state parks, and outside activities. Shopping is on the limited side but Santa Barbara is not too far. Schools are good, a good public library, symphony and even a petting zoo closeby. Lots of activities for all ages. Good beach opportunities in Morro Bay about 10 miles north and Pismo Beach further south. The further south you go, the warmer the beach temps. I live in a nearby smaller beach community and SLO is the go-to place for most doctors, large shopping, and many activities. If you want hotter weather, but dry, look at inland communities like Paso Robles or Atascadero

1. Santa Barbara (city)
  2. Morro Bay (attraction)
  3. Pismo Beach (city)
  4. Paso Robles (city)
  5. Atascadero (city)

shelley from Kampala

Hi Michelle,

How about Baywood-Los Osos? It's a really beautiful area and is close to a University as well.

1. Baywood-Los Osos (attraction)