• Lucy Tarbard
  • "Pacific Cost Highway/Highway 1 - Where to stay December 2017"

Pacific Cost Highway/Highway 1 - Where to stay December 2017

My partner and I are planning a Cali road trip for December for over three weeks. We have the majority figured out but I am struggling a little bit with where to stay when we drive the Pacific Coast/Highway 1. 

We are doing this trip backwards from reading most of the recommended routes:

Start LA > Pacific Coast (start San Diego)> San Fran > Napa > Tahoe > Vegas > Finish LA

We will start with a couple of nights in LA then head to San Diego to start the Pacific Coast road trip where we have a total of 5 days and 4 nights to make our way to San Fran.

Main points of interest for us are:

- San Diego

- Santa Barbara

- Santa Monica

- Malibu

- Huntington Beach

- Monterey

- Big Sur

- Carmel

I feel that we can cover the southern coast in a couple of days easy but I cant work out the best area to stay in for this part?

Is it easy to find a motel or accommodation on route and just turn up. We want to also have a real Southern Cali experience?

Big Sur, Carmel & Monterey we are looking for some accommodation to stay off the beaten track and be surrounded by the great outdoors (we live in Hong Kong so cant wait to be surrounded by tress and space) - Any non camping recommendations? I have looked at some 'glamping' style accommodation but a lot has already been booked out.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and recommendations for a real American experience.

Thank you in advance...

• RosalieAnn Beasley

You cannot drive up Highway 1 from Santa Barbarato Big Sur and there is nowhere reasonable to cut over to Highway 101 much north of Morro Bay You can get as far north as San Simeon and Ragged Point but you will have to backtrack to highway 46 south of Cambria to get over to 101

You can go a short distance from Monterey down to Big Sur but the highway south of there is closed.

Note: I just checked the closure map to find this information - you can look at it yourself here

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html

1. Santa Barbara (city)
    2. Big Sur (city)
    3. Morro Bay (city)
    4. San Simeon (city)
    5. Ragged Point (city)
    6. Cambria (city)
    7. Monterey (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send RosalieAnn a Thank You Note