Peter
Bloomington (Indiana)

California, Monterey, Big Sur, Yosemite National Park, Napa, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe

Mid-price hotel recommendations in California & wineries in Napa

Looking for recommendations specifically in or around:

• Monterey or Big Sur
  • Yosemite National Park
  • Lake Tahoe
  • Napa
  • San Francisco

Bed & breakfasts are fine as alternatives, might even be preferable in some spots.

Also, any specific must-visit wineries in Napa?

Veronica from Malibu

Hi Peter,

I've been to Napa several times (used to work in the wine industry) and my best advice is to steer clear of the really large wineries if you can. The smaller ones off the beaten path tend to be more memorable in my opinion -- I even recommend driving and stopping along whatever dirt road you find yourself on! Here are some of my favorites:

Mumm Napa as mentioned previously. Sipping their sparkling wine in the sunroom is so beautiful!

2) Trefethen Family Vineyards is a really warm and friendly place, and I loved each wine I tasted, which rarely happens.

3) At V. Sattui Winery you can enjoy a picturesque wine tasting as well as a relaxing picnic!

4) Signorello Estate has a beautiful poolside view of Napa. 

5) If you're a Cabernet Sauvignon lover like myself, I recommend Silver Oak CellarsPine Ridge Winery or even the historic Stag's Leap Winery

Enjoy your trip! Cheers!

1. Mumm Napa (attraction)
  2. Trefethen Family Vineyards (attraction)
  3. V. Sattui Winery (attraction)
  4. Silver Oak Cellars (attraction)
  5. Pine Ridge Winery (attraction)
  6. Stag's Leap Winery (attraction)
  7. Signorello Estate (attraction)

Shelly from Denver

Hi Peter:

We just got back from a trip to Napa. We stayed in a little cottage in Petaluma we booked through Airbnb. It was very reasonably priced, super cute and comfy. I can't recommend Airbnb enough! Just read the reviews and the house rules and look to see that it has the amenities you want in order to pick a great place.

My favorite winery visit was Caymus Vineyards. We made reservations for the formal tasting. It was $40 but you get to taste some excellent wines paired with cheeses. Another favorite is Mumm Napa. Both are worth the price!

Have fun and taste some great wine!

Shelly

1. Petaluma (city)
  2. Caymus Vineyards (attraction)
  3. Mumm Napa (attraction)

Daniel from Chattanooga, Tennessee

If you want to stay in San Francisco you should consider The Mission District. Check out some places to stay on Airbnb . It is a place full of flavor and culture including beautiful murals and great food. All the trendy spots are on Valencia Street. As far as wineries you might want to consider Sonoma as well.  Green Dream Tourshave some great combo tours of Napa and Sonoma and some individual tours. If you want non wine snobby, low key, friendly and welcoming tour guides they are great. 

1. The Mission District (attraction)
  2. Green Dream Tours (attraction)
  3. Napa (city)
  4. Sonoma (city)