Laurie
Santa Monica

California, Los Angeles

Fun, unique things to do in California in January?

Hi. A dear friend is coming from Dublin in January and I'd love to get out-of-the-box suggestions on things he might enjoy in California. Two nights in LA, then a couple days traveling the state. He's got a private pilot's license, he cycles, he's a lawyer, his LA-based brother has a couple of motorcycles. Activities, events, sights, experiences. Thanks!

Thomas from Baltimore, Maryland

I echo Fritzi Lareau's answer while adding that you must stop and spend time viewing Big Sur.  Its arguably, the greatest meeting between land & sea in the America's.

1. Big Sur (city)

Fritzi from San Francisco

If you will be in CA in January, I highly recommend getting to a beach where th Elephant Seals are mating. At Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery on the central coast by Hearst Castle, the huge creatures are fighting for dominance right below you. It is an awesome spectacle. The other beach is Ano Nuevo right above Santa Cruz. There a docent will accompany you on a group walk to the breeding grounds, about a mile over the dunes. It is good to make a reservation, but during the week you can probably get in. This is so much fun, I have taken many friends. The elephant seal population has rebounded and there are hundreds at either beach.

1. Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery (attraction)
  2. Hearst Castle (attraction)
  3. Santa Cruz (city)

Connie from Los Angeles

Hi Laurie! :) I couldn't believe how much we love Hearst Castle, especially the night time tour with docents dressed in period clothing. It is just SO over the top, stunning views, crazy history... And if you're a Gatsby fan, it's all just so literally literary!

1. Hearst Castle (attraction)

Max from San Francisco, California

If you have access to motorbikes, I would definitely make it up to Big Sur.  It's one of the most beautiful coast lines in the world.  Maybe stop in Monterey for a night--the aquarium there is incredible.

I also really like Joshua tree if you want to stay close to LA.

Good luck!

1. Big Sur (city)
  2. Monterey (city)

Kathryn from Brisbane

HI. Disneyland Park is a great place to take anyone. I would also recommend visiting the The Queen Mary and the Hollywood Walk of fame. Universal Studios Hollywood might be an idea if he's into movies. However, if he's more of an outdoors kind of person he might prefer something like Los Angeles Zoo. If you're looking at going to San Diego I would recommend LEGOLAND California. It's great fun for adults as well as kids. I hope this has helped. Enjoy your trip.

1. Disneyland Park (attraction)
  2. The Queen Mary (attraction)
  3. Hollywood Walk of fame (attraction)
  4. Universal Studios Hollywood (attraction)
  5. Los Angeles Zoo (attraction)
  6. LEGOLAND California (attraction)