Katharina
Hong Kong

Cairo

Would you recommend moving to Cairo? Why? Why not?

I have lived in various countries and cities including Buenos Aires and Hong Kong, so I am generally open when it comes to new destinations. However I have never been to Cairo or Egypt and neither to any other country in Northern Africa. 

I would like to know what you think about moving to or living in Cairo for at least 6 months? Do you think it is safe for a Western couple? Do you think the lifestyle and culture is enjoyable?

I am very interested in getting feedback from people who have either been to Cairo for a short vacation or during a longer stay or anybody else who likes to share their thoughts :) Thank you in advance!

Ruth from Utah

If you like very fast traffic, people everywhere, and loud prayers several times a day, Cairo is the place for you. My son and his family lived there for three years. They really enjoyed it. It is definitely worth a visit, but you should see if before making any decisions to relocate. Go to the Giza Necropolis and Museum Of Modern Egyptian Art.

1. Giza Necropolis (attraction)
  2. Museum Of Modern Egyptian Art (attraction)

Adriana from Argentina

Katharina

I've been to Cairo and although it is an interesting place to visit, I wouldn't live there. The city is a chaos, you have to take a course to be able to cross an avenue as there aren't traffic lights. Food and water .... another problem! The city is filthy. Their culture is completely different. We stayed in a five-star hotel, and the waiter  stayed behind the chair to assist my husband, ignoring me. When taking taxies they opened the door for my husband. Ladies first! In Argentina it´s very different and I missed it.  While on a tour I asked some questions and the tour guide told me to shut up and stop asking questions ... and I could go on telling experiences of this type.  Cairo is different but it got on my  nerves!