Winston asked

Is it safe to drive through Syria to get to Egypt???

Hi I'm planning a road trip to Cairo, Egypt this summer and looking for some information. Is it safe to drive through Turkey/Syria/Lebanon/Isreal to get to Cairo? 

Also what kind of visas do I need to acquire? We won't be spending more than 24hrs in each country.

Many thanks 

Cairo

Mary from Leicester

Some thoughts:

1. It is my understanding that Turkey's border with Syria is closed. Syria is a war zone.

2. I very much doubt Syria can be considered in any way 'safe' to travel through at the moment nor even a feasible option.  You certainly need highly-specialised insurance if you wish to travel through any war zone. 

3. Do you have at least some Turkish and Arabic? It would be foolish...and wrong...to assume that most people, including border officials, speak English. 

4. As you do not give your citizenship it is impossible to advise you about visas. However, it is likely that you will need to obtain a visa (or, in the case of Turkey an electronic visa waiver) for each country you mention.

5. Regardless of the visa situation, your travel through Syria may raise questions when you try to enter LebanonIsrael and Egypt. You may find you spend longer than your planned 24 hours in each country. 

6. How are you intending to return? There are no longer any ferry services from Egypt to Europe.

1. Syria (city)
  2. Turkey (attraction)
  3. Lebanon (attraction)
  4. Israel (attraction)
  5. Egypt (country)