Derik
Singapore

Derik from Singapore asked

Is Great Barrier Reef worth just seeing?

I am travelling to Cairns next month with 3 other friends, and we will be staying at Trinity Beach area. We want to take up a tour for the Great Barrier Reef, not sure if it would be boring as only a couple of us will snorkel, and none of us can dive! Some of us thought it would be great if we could stay overnight on the liveaboard, but is it worth to stay a night just to experience the night view, sunset, and sunrise, since most of us won't jump into the water?

What are the must-go places in Cairns, we are there for 4 nights.

Thank you!

Cairns   Great Barrier Reef

Hannah from Sydney, Australia

Worth going to definitely. Maybe camping on one of the tiny reef islands like Snapper Island. The beaches are great, but at this time of the year there are box jellyfish, so swimming is a little more difficult, you might need a special suit to wear when snorkelling to stop jellyfish stinging you. Snorkelling is expensive. Maybe look for a cheaper tour rather than those big commercial operations. You should go up to Cape Tribulation. Its a drive but its where the rainforest meets the ocean. Gorgeous. The rainforest treetop walks are also amazing, as is swimming in the clear streams that run through the rainforest.

1. Snapper Island (attraction)
  2. Cape Tribulation (attraction)
Jan from Australia

Definitely, Cairns is the MUST for whom like water... diving, snorkeling is the best place I ever been. 

Alejandro from Singapore

Hi Derik,

Cairns is a great place for its atmosphere. You should see their Cairns Esplanade Lagoon and the Cairns Night Market. Take the cable car from Kuranda and see the rainforest. The Daintree Rainforest is also a good option. Cairns is also the Australian capital of Hot air ballooning. Port Douglas is also really nice.

The Great Barrier Reef is one of the best places to dive in the world. The amount of turtles, reef sharks, morenas and other species was ridiculous compared to 80% of the dives I have done elsewhere.

I did my certification in Singapore before going there and it was worth it. I heard people who snorkeled in our trip also had a great time. I probably would not recommend the overnight stay but you should definitely go.

1. Cairns Esplanade Lagoon (attraction)
  2. Cairns Night Market (attraction)
  3. Kuranda (city)
  4. Daintree Rainforest (attraction)
  5. Port Douglas (city)
  6. Great Barrier Reef (attraction)