Alper
Los Angeles, California

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Looking for a low-key paradise in Baja

We are planning a 14 day vacation to Mexico in August. We like small fishing villages or surf towns with shabby chic attitude. We are into scuba diving, swimming, kitesurfing good food and nature walks. Do you have any recommendations on where to stay, where to visit and what to do? Thank you.

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Check out Todos Santos which is about an hour north of Cabo.  Small Mexican town that became an artist colony/surf town.  Good vibe, good surf and way more laid back than Cabo San Lucas.  If you want/need to stay in or around Cabo proper, I'd look into the CABO SURF HOTEL which overlooks Old Man's surfbreak and is a really cool boutique hotel.  

1. Todos Santos (attraction)
  2. Cabo San Lucas (city)
  3. CABO SURF HOTEL (attraction)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Alper!  While I am not familiar with any recommendations, I would make sure you are very aware that this is around the peak of Hurricane season in the Pacific, Atlantic, Carribean, and Gulf of Mexico/Bay of Campeche.  I certainly don't want to poo poo your trip, but it is something to keep in mind.  The Pacific was especially hyperactive with places in and around Cabo getting absolutely walloped.  Numerous storms that didn't make landfall brought dangerous surf and rips.  If you do decide to go in August, just make sure you have a plan in place. If you can push the trip up to June, or even July, it reduces risks considerably, especially with the activities you are interested in doing. I hope it works out for you, have fun and safe travels!

Ed from Salt Lake City

Hey! The guy said "August!" Even Mexicans move away from the coast in August.  Alper, you are describing Sayulita to a tee, but the height of summer is not when to be there. So hot and humid, much is closed down.  Central Highlands of Mexico (no ocean) in August, or if you're looking for surfing, then stick to the California coast.  I don't think anyone can suggest a surfing/scuba diving combo.  The waves that make surfing possible destroy visibility, but maybe someone knows a place where a sheltered cove is a short drive from the big surf.