Dea

Buenos Aires

Where to tango in Buenos Aires!

Going to Buenos Aires for the first time this winter, and I'm looking forward to seeing/trying the tango! I'm wondering where I can find the best places to learn how to tango, or the best places to watch the professionals do their thing. Any tango clubs or venues that you would suggest? Thanks!

Derek from San Francisco

Aptly named La Catedral, my favorite tango club inhabits a dingy, reclaimed cathedral that is full of character and charm. Tango lessons are offered nightly followed by a festive evening of food, drink and dance. Check their website for an up-to-date schedule. If the live tango music isn't enough to get you up off your feet, the more than reasonably priced wine surely will ($6 USD per bottle in 2013). As a woman, be prepared for locals, or Porteños, to request your partnership on the dance floor. If that's not your cup of tea, a simple "no gracias" should deflect their attention however the more assertive individuals may need to hear it more than once. It's truly a magical place. Enjoy!

1. La Catedral (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

Last year I took a class at Complejo Tango. It's a restaurant that includes a short tango lesson before your meal, and an unlimited drink special, which is helpful for all the dancing. During dinner you get to watch actual tango dancers put on a show, and incorporate willing members of the audience. 

It's in a pretty central location with lots of other bars nearby if you are anxious to keep the night moving after dinner. 

1. Complejo Tango (attraction)

Pablo from Buenos Aires

Hi Dea,

From 13 to 26 of August is the Tango Buenos Aires Festival and Dance World Cup. If will be there during that period of time is a great oportunity to see the best tango.

For seeing/trying I can recommend you Niño Bien and Salón Canning both are good places of tipical argentinean tango.

If you like some lessons you can go to Maldita Milonga, lessons are offered starting at 9PM to 11PM. After that customer dance is not allowed and is just to watch, on Wednesday they have a live orchestra.

Well... good luck!

1. Niño Bien (attraction)
  2. Salón Canning (attraction)
  3. Maldita Milonga (attraction)

Sally from Los Angeles

I absolutely love La viruta in Palermo. Palermo is one of the hip and trendy spots in the city, but La Viruta is very low key with a range of dancers of all levels. Classes are inexpensive and teachers were very kind. Plus they offer classes daily, which is convenient. I went about 4 times when I was in BA, and they have a punch card with discounts as well. 

1. La viruta (attraction)
  2. Palermo (neighborhood)

Teresa from Chicago, Illinois

Hola! I have been to Buenos Aires several times and found the app Hoy Milonga to be very acurate about the milongas in the city (milonga = social tango dancing) they include maps of the venues, times, even a contact and a short description. If you can use your smart phone or can go to their website, I will definitively recommend it. I'm going with a friend on mine next week and I cannot wait!!!