Cara

Buenos Aires

Where to Stay: Palermo vs Recoleta

We'll be in BA for 4 days and debating which area to stay in. Friends are staying in Recoleta, but I've also heard good things about Palermo. We're looking for a good area to base for food, shopping, galleries, food, people-watching, nightlife, and food.  We tend to explore on foot and aren't afraid of walking all day. Whatcha got??

Fede from Buenos Aires

I would go for Palermo. It´s bigger, trendier and has a better nightlife.

That being said, Recoleta is pretty cool too and not a bad choice either but I would personally choose Palermo everyday!

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. Recoleta (neighborhood)

Angelica from Campos, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

I would choose Palermo. There are nice restaurants and lively nightlife.

1. Palermo (neighborhood)

Sally from Los Angeles

Echoing what the others are saying - Palermo is the way to go! It's much more central to other parts of the city, and much trendier, so it has lots of cool bars and restaurants (plus, an excellent tango place La viruta)

Recoleta is definitely nice, but it's the more upscale area. It is great for shopping during the day, but you'll want to spend your evenings in Palermo.

1. La viruta (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I prefer Palermo, but I live there ;), because it has more charm and there are lots of restaurants, bars, shops and streets to walk by. You'll be near the Tres de Febrero Park

Recoleta is also beautiful, I used to live there until a few years ago, so any choice would be ok. 

From both places you have many buses and the subway to move arround the city. 

Good luck

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. Tres de Febrero Park (attraction)
  3. Recoleta (neighborhood)

Valeria from Orlando

Recoleta more safe!

1. Recoleta (neighborhood)

ana from Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires is a really big city. Recoleta and Palermo are ok, but you need to be prepared to travel around the city. Subways, buses or cabs are anywhere. Interesting galleries may be half an hour from Palermo or from Recoleta depending where you choose to go. But both neighbours are good ones.

1. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  2. Palermo (neighborhood)

Tom from Chicago

Palermo....

amanda from San Francisco

Recoleta is comparable to Pac Heights, whereas Palermo is more similar to Valencia Street or Hayes Valley. Both are very nice, walkable areas, but Recoleta is a bit of an older, more sophisticated crowd than trendy Palermo. You'll find more nightlife and boutique shops in Palermo, while Recoleta is home to luxury brands and large clubs. The food scene in Palermo is trendy and offers a bit more variety than Recoleta, although I wouldn't miss out on some of Recoleta's more classic restaurants.

1. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  2. Palermo (neighborhood)

gabriel from Buzios

Palermo at night is very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Palermo (neighborhood)

Nacho

Just to add something else, in terms of galleries/museums, Recoleta is better, you would be closer to Museo Nacional de Bellas ArtesMalba  and others. But I do agree Palermo sounds overall better for the things you mention in the description.

1. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  2. Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (attraction)
  3. Malba (attraction)

Ezequiel from Buenos Aires

Hi, Cara.

I think that Palermo is more cool than Recoleta, Recoleta is very beautiful for old people... but in palermo you have beautifull drinks bar and is a good place for a excellent regional food and a lot of discos all the days of the week. i think that palermo is a good area for a young people.

I hope that you understand, my English is very bad.
I am Ezequiel from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Le deseo una buena estadia en Buenos Aires! Muchos exitos!!!

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. Recoleta (neighborhood)

Enrique

Recoleta. Get a pass equivalent to the Clipper Card. There are buses and subways covering the whole city. Try a visit to Tigre and a tour of the delta. Do not miss a visit to the Teatro Colón

1. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  2. Tigre (state)
  3. Teatro Colón (attraction)

Myles from Melbourne, Australia

Hi Cara,

I would definitely stay in Palermo - they are both reasonably close to each other but for food and nightlife I definitely think that Palermo is better and Recoleta will quiet down quite a lot of a night time. 

There are lots and lots of restaurants in Palermo and quite a few nightclubs that are worth checking out. Both are close to the metro and a short cab drive away so either way you are on to a winner!

Myles,

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. Recoleta (neighborhood)

Phil from Seattle

I would much prefer to stay in Palermo. If you are after cool restaurants and bars then this is the area that I'd recommend most. If you like pizza then defo stay in Palermo and check out Siamo nel Forno. The best pizza in Buenos Aires http://travel-slice.com/best-pizza-in-buenos-aires/

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. Siamo nel Forno (restaurant)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I think Palermo is better. You have many hotels and apartments to choose from and lots of restaurants and shops nearby

1. Palermo (neighborhood)