Shannon

Buenos Aires, Palermo

Palermo vs. San Telmo

For a first time visitor, do you recommend that we stay in Palermo or San Telmo? Or somewhere else? 

Damian from Rosario

Hi!

Madero is one of the most beautiful areas of BA, both to walk to eat or drink. So are Las Cañitas and Recoleta.
Here are the best restaurants, along with those of Las Cañitas and Recoleta. It is also a very safe area to walk at all times. It is beautiful walk along the river levees, bridge of Women is a beautiful sight. It is an area of amazing and very vibrant modern architecture. Restaurants, very difficult to recommend one, they are all excellent, depends on the type of food you prefer.

But the two neighborhoods you mentioned, Palermo is the most beautifull place, have 3 Palermo, Palermo, Palermo Chico and Palermo Soho,and the latter is the most beautiful of all 3!

Good trip!

Damian.

1. Madero (neighborhood)
  2. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  3. Palermo (neighborhood)
  4. Las Cañitas (neighborhood)
  5. Palermo Chico (neighborhood)
  6. Palermo Soho (neighborhood)

Dave from Kamloops, British Columbia

I recommend Palermo over San Telmo to stay in.  San Telmo is definitely worth a visit.  Las Canitas is near Palermo, so it's also a good option to be near trendy bars, restaurants, and cafes.  If you like horse races, check out the Hippodromo.  Great restaurant in Palermo is Sarkis

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. Sarkis (restaurant)

Polly from Washington, DC

Personally, I loved staying in the city center.

I was there in July - it was cold and rainy, and both Palermo and San Telmo seemed pretty empty at the time. (Aside from the Sunday market in San Telmo - I would love to go back and experience it when it's warmer!) Staying in the center meant I was able to walk almost everywhere. I was close to both bus and subway lines, which I was able to use to get to Palermo and Caminito.

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. San Telmo (metro area)
  3. Caminito (attraction)

Paula from Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro

1. Palermo (neighborhood)

Mathaios from Monemvasías, Lakonia, Greece

Shannon, Puerto Madero is top destination now. Recoleta is a nice area too. Bring money for shoping clothes, boots, Estación Central (la martina) is close.

1. Puerto Madero (attraction)
  2. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  3. Estación Central (attraction)

Pamela from New Canaan, Connecticut

Without question, Palermo.  It's a hip and happening neighborhood with tons of boutique hotels, great shops and restaurants.  Go to San Telmo for the miles-long market (and don't miss eating at Desnivel), but, in my humble opinion, you wouldn't want to stay there.  Enjoy!

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. San Telmo (metro area)
  3. Desnivel (restaurant)