Maria
Bogota

Buenos Aires

First Time in Buenos Aires, what can I do?

I'm going to travel to Buenos Aires in August, I heard that the weather is so bad, but i like to know a lot of places in there.  Where can I start? 

Laura from Buenos Aires

August is winter and it's cold and may rain but the weather is so changeable lately that it can be anyway. But bring a good coat and an umbrella. 

The must see are the storic center, Plaza de Mayo,  San TelmoPuerto MaderoAvenida Corrientes, La BocaRecoletaPalermo. The last one is the best place to stay (similar to the Zona Rosa in Bogotá) and has pubs, restaurants and clubs. 

For restaurants I recomend you La Cabrera and Páru Inkas Sushi & Grill (expensive but possible the best in the city) in Palermo, Café San Juan and Brasserie Petanque in San Telmo, El Obrero in La Boca (it's for tourist but it's good and charming). 

1. Plaza de Mayo (attraction)
  2. San Telmo (metro area)
  3. Puerto Madero (attraction)
  4. Avenida Corrientes (attraction)
  5. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  6. Palermo (neighborhood)
  7. La Cabrera (attraction)
  8. Café San Juan (restaurant)
  9. El Obrero (restaurant)
  10. La Boca (neighborhood)
  11. Brasserie Petanque (restaurant)
  12. Páru Inkas Sushi & Grill (attraction)

Joanna from Vancouver

When you go to Buenos Aires, make sure to bring cash and exchange it in the "Blue Market". DO NOT use credit cards or Debit Cards because you are going to end up paying WAY more. Consider: the official rate (government imposed) is at 8 pesos to a dollar and the blue market is at 14 pesos to a dollar, so see? When you use your card you are paying the official rate. 

Other than that, the best place to stay is around Plaza Armenia or Plaza Serrano- You'll be walking distance to most of the restaurants, bars and cool things of BA, and you are not too far from Avenida Santa Fe where you can take any kind of public transportation. 

You should also avoid going to La Boca since it's just a tourist trap, but I understand that everyone has a picture there and the first day you can take a hop on-hop off buses so you get a sense of what the city is like. 

Also, if you have time, you might want to check Tigre, it's very nice around there and taking the train is pretty easy. 

The rest, walk as much as you can, that's the best way to do it. 

1. Plaza Armenia (restaurant)
  2. Plaza Serrano (attraction)
  3. La Boca (attraction)
  4. Tigre (state)

K from San Francisco

So much to do in Buenos Aires!  Check out Recoleta Cemetery.  I loved the Malba (Museum of Latin American Art), a nice change from your standard art museum.  Catch a soccer game at La Bombonera and the cute little touristy neighborhood La Boca.  The city is huge so the hop on hop off bus, although pricey, is a good way to get to the different tourist spots.  Taxis aren't too expensive and the subway is cheap.  

I wrote a couple blog post about my trip you can get some ideas from and see pictures: 

http://www.travelaworldaway.com/2013/01/my-favorite-art-museum-in-buenos-aires.html

http://www.travelaworldaway.com/2013/02/getting-touristy-in-buenos-aires.html

Have a great trip!

1. Recoleta Cemetery (attraction)
  2. Malba (attraction)
  3. La Bombonera (attraction)
  4. La Boca (attraction)

Albano from General Las Heras, Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires has lot of options to choose.

For night live, should visit Palermo, it is full of options of any kind at any cost.

To know general information about Buenos Aires its recommended to take the Buenos Aires Tour bus, which will take you accross the more important places in the city, from La Boca at the south to Costanera Norte in the other side of the city, going through places like the Zoológico de Buenos Aires, Chinatown, etc.

In Buenos Aires there is a big community of Colombian people, look for the Facebook group "Colombianos in Buenos Aires" where will find people like you, already living/staying here :)

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. La Boca (neighborhood)
  3. Zoológico de Buenos Aires (attraction)
  4. Costanera Norte (attraction)
  5. Chinatown (neighborhood)