Vonn

Buenos Aires

Alone to Buenos Aires for a week - where to stay, what to do?

Due to unfortunate planning my friend shall be arriving in BA a week after me on 3 Feb. Any suggestion on where a single woman should stay, where to go and what to do? All suggestions welcome.  

Thanking in advance.

Elissa from Los Angeles

I don't know how you feel about hostels, but I LOVE them and there are some great ones in BsAs. The thing about hostels is, when you're traveling alone (which I have done a lot in Argentina) you meet a ton of people and find yourself surrounded by people who all would like to hang with you. Location-wise, EL CENTRO is great because it's Central. Also Palermo, as the others said is nice as well. 

Hope that helps!

1. EL CENTRO (attraction)

Greg from Chengdu

The two times we have been there we have stayed in airbnb flats.  Once in Studios Palermo Hollywood and the other in Barrio Norte.  I would recommend Palermo and look for a place around an area called Las Cañitas.  It has a bunch of bars and restaurants centered around  a crossroad of two streets.  There are a couple of other areas in Palermo like this that we saw but I can't remember their names.

1. Studios Palermo Hollywood (attraction)
  2. Barrio Norte (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

Stay in Palermo, it's a beatiful neighbourghood, well connected to the rest of the city by subway and bus, it's safe, has a lots of restaurants and bars. It's the best place in the city for a tourist, I live there and I love it. 

Then you can visit RecoletaSan TelmoPuerto MaderoBoca, the city center, Retiro... There are lots of places to see and to go here. You'll have fun and if you need anything contact me. 

1. Palermo (neighborhood)
  2. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  3. San Telmo (metro area)
  4. Puerto Madero (attraction)
  5. Boca (attraction)
  6. Retiro (attraction)

Jeff from Brooklyn, New York

The art museums in BA: MACBA - Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Buenos Aires, Malba, and the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes are all definitely worth viewing.  And don't miss Fortebas and the Evita Museum too.   Those are both unique and in great locations for site seeing.

And absolutely go see this one:  http://www.elzanjon.com.ar/  It is an incredible architectural find, underground in San Telmo, where you will no doubt spend some time looking at junk for sale! ;-)

In San Telmo, eat at Restaurante Hierbabuena if you like fresh organic creative food!!

Enjoy.

1. MACBA - Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Buenos Aires (attraction)
  2. Malba (attraction)
  3. Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (attraction)
  4. San Telmo (metro area)
  5. Restaurante Hierbabuena (restaurant)