Aditya
Mumbai

Budapest

Small city or Village to visit near Budapest

Hello People, 

I am planing to travel to Budapest for a week, will spend 3-4 days there, for another 3 days, I would like to go to a small city or village to get authentic Hungarian feeling, culture and lifestyle.

Any suggestions or advises ? I am solo budget traveler and open to adventure and trying out new things. Also, any advises for Budapest are most welcome ! I am interested in Techno and rave music scene too, writing a an article on similar lines. Any recommended places to check out ?

Thanks, Adi

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello, 

Some great suggestions so far, I just wanted to add that I really enjoyed Pecs. It is easy to get there by train and has both tourist attractions and a local vibe. 

Happy travels,

Crystal, Traveler's Toast

1. Pecs (city)

Budapestian from Budapest

Typically tourist wants to see somethin similar they're going to Szentendre.

Budapestian, Tamás

1. Szentendre (city)

Janos

Go to Szentendre!

1. Szentendre (city)

Ben from London

If you have a few days, Lake Balatonis a great getaway & also has good nightlife for your article!

1. Lake Balaton (city)

Taylor from New Orleans

Hi Adi,

You have lots of options to choose from! I live in southeastern Hungary, so I am partial to recommending a trip to Szeged! Beautiful Seccessionist architecture, interesting museums, and great food await you there. I also write and here's an article I wrote recently about the best Hungarian specialties and where to eat them in Szeged: http://theculturetrip.com/europe/hungary/articles/where-to-eat-drink-local-hungarian-specialties-in-szeged/

Additionally, you may consider at trip to Eger, where you can drink lots of fantastic wine and see and old castle. 

Another option is to go just north of Budapest on the Danube bend to check out Szentendre, an artsy place, and Esztergom, big church!!, however you could potentially make these day trips from Budapest. 

Hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any questions about any of these :)

1. Szeged (city)
  2. Eger (city)
  3. Szentendre (city)
  4. Esztergom (city)