Claire
Chichester

Claire from Chichester asked

Good ruin pubs to visit in Budapest?

Hi, I'm visiting Budapest soon and have been reading about the ruin pubs. Does anyone have a favourite to recommend for an evening visit?

Budapest (Hungary)

Ben from London

I used to live in Budapest & the ruin bars are the soul of the city! 

The majority are in the Jewish District (District 7) & you will find many around there randomly. The biggest one is Szimpla Kert which has sawn in half cars and bath tubs for chairs, hanging bicycles and a real arty feel to it. 

The first one I went to was Instant where they have a retractable roof and themed rooms.  There's even a upside down room! Fogasház is a great outdoorsy one. Kuplung isn't really a ruin bar but a cool one to see and within this area, you will see loads.

Corvintető is a great rooftop bar above an old communist supermarket and if you're out this way, Dürer Kert is a cool one to visit.

After all this A38 Hajó is an old Ukraninian boat that got turned into a bar/club!

Hope this all helps and like I said, just wander district 7 around the synagogue and you will stumble on loads of them :) 

Claire
Thanks for such a detailed reply, these sound great!

Ben
No worries Claire, let me know if you have any other questions :)

1. Szimpla Kert (attraction)
  2. Instant (attraction)
  3. Fogasház (restaurant)
  4. Kuplung (attraction)
  5. Corvintető (attraction)
  6. Dürer Kert (attraction)
  7. A38 Hajó (attraction)