Annemarie

Budapest

Cold War relics in Budapest?

Hi. I'm going to be in Budapest for work, but I'll have a couple of hours free. I've been reading about the strange connection Budapest had with communist regimes and the Nazis and I'd like to visit some of the historical relics that remain from WWII and the Cold War.

So far I've bookmarked The House of Terror, but I'd love more suggestions. Thanks. 

Tim from Stockholm

I reccomend Memento Park Budapest, District VII which is former Jewish ghetto,   Csepel's Iron and steel works (there is Android App if you have good smart phone or tablet) I happened to proofread the txt..lol, forget guide books and read up on the history in wikipedia and take notes..

1. Memento Park Budapest (attraction)
  2. District VII (neighborhood)
  3. Csepel (attraction)

Babak from Brazil

Also try Statue Park, Szoborpark in Hungarian. It's a collection of discarded communist statues from around the city.

1. Szoborpark (attraction)

Zannnie from Tallinn

Hi AnneMarie, you may want to check out the shoes memorial http://www.budapestdailyphoto.com/index.php/2009/04/18/iron-shoes/

Danube

1. Danube (attraction)

Ruth from Puurs

House of Terror is worth a visit!

And you can also join the free tour about communism, also a good way to hear some real stories.

1. House of Terror (attraction)

Roger from San Marcos (Texas)

They have a great multilayer museum starts bottom floor w time of Rome & top w current history. I also took the train to Pecs (about 3 hrs ) 

1. Pecs (city)