Diana
Lisbon

Bucharest, Romania

Bucharest - must-check out cafés and restaurants!

I'm Romanian and have never been to Bucharest before. I'm going there for 2 days and would love to go to some cafés & restaurants that have either a traditional Romanian feel or that have an inspiring decor. 

Mike from Cincinnati

Like everyone else says, Caru' cu Bere is a must. Also, if you're out late, Beer O'Clock has a vast selection of excellent brews.

Hanul lui Manuc is an amazing setting for a dinner. Try to get seats in the courtyard, as the restaurant is within the oldest hotel in Bucharest:

1. Caru' cu Bere (attraction)
  2. Beer O'Clock (restaurant)
  3. Hanul lui Manuc (attraction)

Travis from Kamloops

We only spent a couple of days there, but the one place we went and you are definitely going to want to eat at is Caru' cu Bere - it is an amazing old building with great, typical Romanian food. Our  free walking tour guide recommended it to us and it was awesome. We were there in the off-season so we didn't make a reservation, but I've heard that sometimes you need to if you are going for dinner.  

1. Caru' cu Bere (attraction)

Camille from San Francisco

I have to agree with Travis, Caru' cu Bere is not quite off-the-beaten-path, but is amazing looking and has great traditional food. Well worth trying!

1. Caru' cu Bere (attraction)

Adina from Bucharest

I can definitely help you. My first two recommendations will be two caffes from Piața RomanăCamera din Față and on the same street there is a new one called M60. For both of them you should make reservation. Then you should try this coffee place with african/ tribal influences called Tucano Coffee

Origo would be also a great choice. All of these mentioned have high quality service and the atmosphere is cosy and really friendly. If you want me to I can  show you around Bucharest when you will be here.

Kind regards!

Adina from FamilyVacation

1. Piața Romană (attraction)
  2. Camera din Față (restaurant)
  3. Tucano Coffee (restaurant)
  4. Origo (restaurant)

Patrick from Romania

If you're looking for a great spot for coffee, the best place in town by far is Origo - great coffee and ambiance with reasonable prices.

For restaurants, the decision is not so clear. Caru' cu Bere is worth a stop just to see the decor (like dining in a church), but I can't say the food is that good. La Mama is a decent, albeit well-known choice, but I would point you to Lacrimi și Sfinți for a more interesting meal. Think traditional Romanian dishes, but with better ingredients - sarmale with goose meat instead of pork. It gets mixed reviews, but I've never had a bad meal there and the wines are quite good for the price.

1. Origo (restaurant)
  2. Caru' cu Bere (attraction)
  3. La Mama (restaurant)
  4. Lacrimi și Sfinți (restaurant)