Stef

Brussels, Madrid

Brussels or Madrid in June?? Can only pick one!

I only have time to visit Madrid or Brussels in June, which is better?? What are the best attractions there? 

Jeff from Portland

Jeez, make that question harder. 

Okay here is my quick take on each and then my opinion

Brussels - Wonderful, typical old European city in design/charm. There is a bit of attitude by some of the service industry in Belgium overall (think sterotypical stuck up Frenchman), but I love the city, the beer and the food. You can take a nice day trip out to Bruges which is worth it. I had an amazing meal at Belga Queen. Go drinking at Delirium Cafe with 2500 beers to choose from, you cant go wrong - and have a plate of gouda and celery salt (sounds not wonderful but it is, especially with beer). We spend 4 days here and it was plenty of time.

Madrid - Food, wine, jamon, music, . Everyone is very friendly, it is beautiful, but the street vendors (guys selling random crap in the squares) are annoying. With that said, we spent 4 days in madrid and I could spend another week there. I love food and it is tough to beat this city anywhere in Europe. Some favorites include Taberna Tempranillo and StreetXO or you can go to its much fancier brother DiverXOCasa Patas was great for Flamenco. Visit many of the markets - the most popular being Mercado de San Miguel - spend 3 hours and eat and drink.

I would vote for Madrid over Brussels. I love the culture, the food, the wine, and the people are amazing. Both cities are great, just Madrid wins 7 out of 10 times in my opinion

1. Bruges (city)
  2. Belga Queen (restaurant)
  3. Delirium Cafe (restaurant)
  4. Taberna Tempranillo (restaurant)
  5. StreetXO (restaurant)
  6. DiverXO (restaurant)
  7. Casa Patas (attraction)
  8. Mercado de San Miguel (attraction)

David from Júzcar

Madrid by far the better choice. As mentioned by others, there are more things to enjoy in Madrid and no attitude waiters to deal with. Better on the wallet as well. The San Miguel market is fantastic. All the small charming streets around there and the Plaza Mayor are fun to explore. And the Museo de Jamon has a great selection of Spanish ham (world's best cured hams) to enjoy. Museums, shops, Chueca, great food selection, value for money, nightlife, Spanish winds, Madrid is by far the better destination.

Anna from Athens

I'd go for Madrid too! I haven't been there, but I didn't like Brussels that much so I'd go for Madrid. 

On the other hand if you do go to Brussels, day trips to GhentBruges and Antwerp are in order, which are sooo pretty!

1. Ghent (city)
  2. Bruges (city)
  3. Antwerp (city)

Madrid hands down! Brussels has the chocolate, moules, beer and the elegant buildings - but so does Madrid and a whole lot more!

1. Madrid (city)
  2. Brussels (city)

Do you love hot weather? The only drawback to Madrid in June is the heat.

Brussels will be significantly cooler and as others have said have some really beautiful places nearby so you could see a lot.

Madrid would be my first choice anyway - the city exudes culture - the food, museums, shopping, plaza de toros... there is so much there. It's the kind of city you could live in and never get bored. If you want to just relax and soak up the vibe, Madrid is it.

Cristina from Brussels

I agree with Jeff Mills. If you go to Brussels, you don't have to spend there too much time but you can do a day trip to Ghent and Bruges(Ghent in the morning and Bruges in the afternoon - possibly staying one night there - Bruges by night is magical). 

1. Ghent (city)
  2. Bruges (city)

Emily from New York City

Definitely Brussels! You can check out the Grand Place, take day trips to Rotterdam and Antwerp, see the Atomium, go clubbing and for food, try Bookalokal (full disclosure: I work for them, but am also a huge fan!)- a site that lists fun food activities hosted by locals.

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Grand Place (attraction)
  3. Rotterdam (city)
  4. Antwerp (city)
  5. Atomium (attraction)

We haven't been to Brussels before but Madrid is lovely -- great cultural experience, lovely food and wine, so we'd say Madrid!

Klaudia from London

This one is an easy one.. Madrid!! Brussles is lovely but a day or two and you would have seen all the sites and inhaled enough waffles and mussels to last for a while . Madrid is a much bigger city, with more galleries museums, markets and restaurants, it's a city that stays up late and is filled with people on the streets .