Joyce
Singapore

Joyce from Singapore asked

What are the best, affordable restaurants in Brussels?

Hi, my friend and I will be going on a short trip to Brussels! Any recommendations where we can find a cheap and good meal? 

Brussels (Belgium)

Dana from Brussels

If you want to start the day with a good cofee, I'd suggest you go to Jat - they have good bagels and cakes as well (cakes are provided by Les Tartes de Francoise).

Moving on to have lunch, there is a nice place in the center selling sustainable fish and chips (I know, not traditional Belgium cuisine items, but worth the try) - Bia Mara. Alternativelly, you can try Arcadi, they serve goold local food. For the Moules frites I always go to Chez Léon and for the Carbonnade flamande (sweet-sour beef and onion stew made with beer) to Greenwich.

Although Delirium Cafe is quite popular just by offering more than 2000 types of beer, the atmospehere is much more interesting at La Bécasse, Au Bon Vieux Temps or Poechenellekelder.

1. Jat (restaurant)
  2. Les Tartes de Francoise (attraction)
  3. Bia Mara (restaurant)
  4. Arcadi (restaurant)
  5. Chez Léon (restaurant)
  6. Greenwich (restaurant)
  7. Delirium Cafe (restaurant)
  8. La Bécasse (restaurant)
  9. Au Bon Vieux Temps (restaurant)
  10. Poechenellekelder (restaurant)
Gery from Brussels

Hi, Joyce Lee. Welcome to Brussels!
I do not know what you call a cheap meal... But if you are looking for a real Belgian speciality, do not miss the 'Maison Antoine' on the Place Jourdan
The French fries they sell are considered to be the finest in Belgium! Even President Obama came to the place to taste them ;-)
By the way, I do not know why people call this unique speciality French fries, because it was definitely invented in Belgium, centuries ago!
So the 'Friterie Antoine' sells French fries in all sizes of boxes, with a choice of at least 20 different dressings (from ketchup, barbecue and curry sauce to less known dressings as spicy Samurai, American or Andalouse). Do not be shocked, the Belgians love it the most with... mayonnaise.

Notice the paper package, folded in a cone, quite typical as well.
Of course, you can order all kinds of fried dishes with your fries: home made meat balls, sausages, kebabs, tacos, hamburgers ... or even loempias ;-)

Very Belgian, very typical, very friendly and quite inexpensive. Just do not do this everyday, because it is not recommended for your diet ...
Please, do not let you discourage by the line. There can be a lot of people queueing in front of this street food shop. The opportunity to meet a lot of friendly guys from all over the world (especially European Union civil servants and lobbyists, whose offices are next door). It makes you feel very hungry when it is your turn to order ;-)

Last but not least: 'Maison Antoine' sells street food. There is no restaurant where you can actually sit. So peolple eat on the nearby benches. But you can buy your renowned French fries in the middle of the square and go and eat them in one of the surrounding pubs, where you can order something to drink only (a typical Belgian beer would be my recommendation). Good to know if it starts raining or getting chilly ;-)

Enjoy it! Gery

1. Place Jourdan (attraction)
Arnaud

Eccetera, italian restaurant near Place Jourdan. Delicious and cheap.

1. Eccetera (restaurant)