Lindsay

Brooklyn

What are your favorite restaurants in Brooklyn?

I'm going to be spending a few days in NYC and staying in the Brooklyn area. I've been to NYC before but this is my first time into Brooklyn. Where would you recommend someone visiting for the first time to eat? Where would you bring your friends? I'm not a picky eater and will eat (almost) anything. Thanks! 

Regan from Brooklyn

Oh man, Brooklyn is a food mecca more so than Manhattan.  There are two major parts to Brooklyn--north (Williamsburg, Bushwick and Greenpoint) and south (Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill).  South is "Brownstone Brooklyn" with tree-lined streets and old 19th century brownstones and it has a more laid back vibe.  Williamsburg and Greenpoint used to be ground zero for hipsters and now they've been pretty much taken over by the Wall St. set.  So, they're different vibes to the different parts and they're nowhere near each other, so if you go to one area, you'll be there for the night.

Phew! Now that we've got that out of the way...I live in Park Slope, so I'm way more familiar with South BK restaurants.  Some of my BK faves:

• Speedy Romeo (Bed-Stuy/Clinton Hill area)
  • Do or Dine (also Bed-Stuy)
  • Buttermilk Channel (Cobble Hill)--awesome for brunch.  Chicken fried pork chop on a waffle??!! WTF!
  • Frankies 457 (Cobble Hill as well)
  • Vinegar Hill House (Dumbo, an old waterfront neighborhood)
  • Alma (Red Hook, a bit far, but really special.  A few good bars and it's basically a fishing village in the middle of Brooklyn--very cool. Lots of artists' lofts)
  • Hometown Bar-B-Que (Red Hook)--one of the best BBQ spots in all five boroughs
  • Franny's (Park Slope)--a Park Slope institution with arguably some of the best pizza in the city.  A pioneer of the locavore movement and right by Prospect Park, the Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, so that could be a good BK outing for you.  An awesome bar for after down the street is Sharlene's Bar, a time capsule with an old wooden bar, pin ball machines, Scrabble and a clientele as diverse as the borough itself

That's only a slice.  Another outing option would be to take the ferry to DUMBO for the Dumbo Smorgasburg, kind of like Borough Market in London (http://brooklynflea.com/markets/smorgasburg-dumbo/) for lunch (a GIANT flea market of ALL food), walk around Dumbo and Brooklyn Heights then cab it down to Red Hook or Cobble Hill for dinner and subway it back.  Have fun!!!!!  I ate my way through London last year.

1. Williamsburg (neighborhood)
  2. Bushwick (neighborhood)
  3. Greenpoint (neighborhood)
  4. Park Slope (neighborhood)
  5. Prospect Heights (neighborhood)
  6. Fort Greene (neighborhood)
  7. Cobble Hill (neighborhood)
  8. Boerum Hill (neighborhood)
  9. Speedy Romeo (restaurant)
  10. Do or Dine (restaurant)
  11. Buttermilk Channel (restaurant)
  12. Frankies 457 (restaurant)
  13. Vinegar Hill House (restaurant)
  14. Alma (restaurant)
  15. Hometown Bar-B-Que (restaurant)
  16. Franny's (restaurant)
  17. Prospect Park (attraction)
  18. Brooklyn Museum (attraction)
  19. Brooklyn Botanic Garden (attraction)
  20. Sharlene's Bar (restaurant)
  21. DUMBO (attraction)

Elizabeth from Brooklyn

AlMar on Front Street in Dumbo,  

Superfine also on Front Street in Dumbo 

Heights Cafe in BK Heights 

Cafe Luluc in Carroll Gardens 

Watty & Meg on Court Street

1. AlMar (restaurant)
  2. Superfine (restaurant)
  3. Heights Cafe (restaurant)
  4. Cafe Luluc (restaurant)
  5. Watty & Meg (restaurant)

Claire from Brooklyn

1. Umami Burger (restaurant)
  2. Cafe Colette (attraction)
  3. Miss Favela (restaurant)

Krissy from Long Beach

al di la Trattoria in Park Slope. It's been a year since I visited (by myself, even!) and I still think about that meal. Beet and ricotta ravioli and a side of earthy greens. I'm sure the menu has changed with the season, but I'd go back in a heartbeat.

1. al di la Trattoria (restaurant)