Randy
North Lake Tahoe

Randy from North Lake Tahoe asked

Best sailboat anchorage for a long term winter stay?

I expect to spend next winter in the Caribbean on a sailboat and want to know of very good, protected, long term anchorages with some services nearby.  I've sailed much of the Caribbean and now want to spend an entire season.  I'll do some cruising, however, I will need a long term base anchorage.  Thanks for any provided assistance!

British Virgin Islands

jack from Road Town, Tortola, Bvi

Inside the lagoon in Saint Martin and Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas aren't bad.  If you want the British Virgin Islands, Trellis Bay is good but not very picturesque.  Jolly Harbour in Antigua isn't bad either.  It all depends on where in the Caribbean you want to be.  Good Luck!

Randy
Thank you Jack. Your comment is a big help because I've not sailed Antigua or or much of the U.S. BVI's. I'm a Lake Tahoe sailor during the summer and spent last winter in Baja so Mexico is in my view for affordability. It's beautiful and uncrowded as well. I've been shopping, small sailboats since it's only myself on this trip. There is plenty of inventory over 30' but I think I can manage on anything 25' to 30' if I am conservative, which I am when it comes to cruising. I'll just be island hopping in good weather. Any suggestion about a brokerage that would have a large inventory in that range? An old race dog would work fine as well. Just need something resaleable when I move on to another adventure. Thanks again Jack. Greatly appreciate your time to write.

jack
Hey Randy! Sounds like you have a great adventure on your hands to look forward to. I would suggest previous charter companies to look for boats. they generally have a large inventory and need to unload them. If you go with private sellers then they are trying to get the best price whereas charter companies are looking to move inventory. Try companies like Moorings, Conch Charters, SunSail, Dream Yacht Charters, Marine Max, and Horizon. Those may be good bets and you may get more boat for the money you want to spend. Let me know if you have any other questions. OK good luck and get in touch when you get here so we can get a drink!

1. Saint Martin (attraction)
  2. Charlotte Amalie (city)
  3. Trellis Bay (attraction)
  4. Jolly Harbour (city)